This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6 volt alternator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

6 volt alternator

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am

I am thinking of trying a 6 volt alternator on one of my cubs. I am completely clueless with electrical hook ups when doing this. I have read to get a Hitachi one wire and I remember some time back reading a post about the proper fitting one so the hood does not need to be cut, (that is what I am looking for. I have searched for it but can not find the particular post I was looking for.

I have a cub with out a generator and the price of a rebuild with a voltage regulator is more than I want to spend and so I thought I would try something new and see how it goes and learn something at the same time.

I am also thinking of an alternator on Our VAC at school since the Gen is froze up solid.

I am looking for the correct 6 volt generator to use. I know there is one somewhere. I will going to NAPA to get it so if there is a number that would be great.

Thanks a bounch

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: 6 volt alternator

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 am

Get the Delco clone 12 volt single wire alternator. Will fit under the Cub's hood with out cutting hood. Guessing, using school account for purchase, probably cost you around $36-. Lot of information on subject on this site. I think you will find the 6 volt alternator over priced.

On tractors bigger than the Cub, the alternator installation is usually a piece of cake.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:43 am

One of the main advantages to converting to a 1-wire alternator is that you are using a common item that is readily available as an inexpensive rebuild. Although 6-volt alternators exist, they are neither common nor inexpensive. I imagine you would find a 6-volt alternator to be more expensive than any other alternative for a charging system.

Have you researched the original generator number for the VAC? It may be relatively common, as 6-volt generator go. I presume this is supposed to be a teaching excepience for the kids. Have them take the frozen generator apart, clean it up and decide what all is wrong with it. After that, the conclusion may be to to toss it or trade it in as a core. But give them the opportunity to learn.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 pm

You mentioned 6 volt alternator earlier in the post, they are rare, and the last time I checked fairly pricy. Much cheaper to change over to 12 volts if you want an alternator, or find a used generator if wanting to stay 6 volt.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Jim Becker wrote:I presume this is supposed to be a teaching excepience for the kids. Have them take the frozen generator apart, clean it up and decide what all is wrong with it. After that, the conclusion may be to to toss it or trade it in as a core. But give them the opportunity to learn.

I agree with Steve's remarks completely. There is no way they should toss the generator without making sure it is dead and can not be rebuilt. Chances are the bearings are gummed up and stuck from sitting. I hate the toss and replace mentality of some mechanics today. Remember, these items were were made to be rebuilt and not thrown away. They need to take the generator apart and check the continuity of the field and armature windings. If the windings are sound and not shorted out chances are the rest of the generator can be rebuilt quite reasonably.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 pm

It is highly unlikely that NAPA offers 6 volt generators, especially for tractors. National Quick Start at one time offered conversion kits for Delco for 6 volt output. Check out their full website.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/repair ... its-2.aspx
Luck favors those who are prepared

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:27 pm

If cost is a factor you have 2 choices 1. Repair what you have , this will most likely be the more costly
of the 2. And 2. change it over to a one wire 12 volt.
No way would I ever consider a 6 volt Alternator.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Apparently I am the proud owner of a 6v alternator. It is on the shelf in the barn. Haven't decided what to do with it. My preference would be to stay with the 6v system. You should be able to pick up a good used 6v genny/cutout from one of our site sponsors like JP Tractor Salvage or via a want in the Wanted Cub Items forum. :eBay: also has them for a reasonable price but you do have to pay attention. Once you have a 6v genny and cut-out or voltage regulator, they are rebuildable usually for a very reasonable cost. I send mine out to my local AC Delco Service Centre. Very economical.

Tbe only valid reason to convert to a 12v system is when the genny and regulator are missing. And that is usually because folks are looking at new parts only for the most part. Overlooking good used parts is a waste of a good option. Suggest checking that out before you make a major decision.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

sgtbull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62854
Tractors Owned: '36 JD B,
'40 and '46 Farmall H,
'50 Ford 8n '55 Farmall Cub,
'55 JD 70 allfuel,
lots of other toys

Postby sgtbull » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 pm

I have a cub on a 6v alternator. Alternator cost me $60, brand new. I went w/ 6v because I already had 6v lights, a new 6v battery, and 6v. ignition system.

Since now I have everything on the dreaded magneto (Sorry Boss, I like'em.. they aren't so bad when you don't try to understand how they work!), I might have considered a 12v alternator.

If you have to buy a new battery I'd stick w/ a 12v one wire set up. It seems like 6v batteries are harder to find and more pricey than 12s. For the ignition, you'd need either a new coil or a resistor. A Delco Remy 10SI will fit w/ no modifications. IF you want it as 6v, any competent rebuild shop can make it one. Look back at some previous articles on mounts to see a good, clean way to install one.
I've never met a tractor I didn't like....but I have found some that were greatly annoying....

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

I am not apposed to a 12 v conversion, I just don't want to have to buy new lights, coil, and what not. I have all kinds of 6 v lights and coils. I do have a 12v alternator I will use on my demo project most likely just because it came with it. I just see more money to go the 12 v route verses staying with the 6 v in my case. I thought I read somewhere Hitachi made a 6 v alternator and that is what has me curious about going this route. Like I stated earlier, I did not get a generator with this tractor and so I do not have a core to rebuild at this time. I really don't want to spend $40 or more on a core plus a rebuild of $150 or more and then add in all the other things I have to change over like I stated.
I will look into both when I go to NAPA Friday after school and let everyone know what I went with. I have this tractor hot wired for now and would like to get it in shape for spring as I would like to put a sickle mower on it.

Thanks

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 am

Jason:

I think Kelley might have the solution for you - pretty simple it seems to me.

sgtbull wrote:A Delco Remy 10SI will fit w/ no modifications. IF you want it as 6v, any competent rebuild shop can make it one. Look back at some previous articles on mounts to see a good, clean way to install one.

The 10SI is one of the most common and are rather inexpensive. Any good AC Delco Service Centre can make it 6v. I would think any good reputable Auto Electric repair shop should be able to do this. Probably the most economical way to get a 6v alternator.

IIRC, Bruce told me that my 6v alternator is indeed a 10SI.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:42 am

Jason (IL) wrote:I am not apposed to a 12 v conversion, I just don't want to have to buy new lights, coil, and what not. I have all kinds of 6 v lights and coils. I do have a 12v alternator I will use on my demo project most likely just because it came with it. I just see more money to go the 12 v route verses staying with the 6 v in my case. I thought I read somewhere Hitachi made a 6 v alternator and that is what has me curious about going this route. Like I stated earlier, I did not get a generator with this tractor and so I do not have a core to rebuild at this time. I really don't want to spend $40 or more on a core plus a rebuild of $150 or more and then add in all the other things I have to change over like I stated.
I will look into both when I go to NAPA Friday after school and let everyone know what I went with. I have this tractor hot wired for now and would like to get it in shape for spring as I would like to put a sickle mower on it.

Thanks

Buying those parts is offset by the lower price, and longer warranty, of the 12 volt battery. If you need a battery, its the way to go. (Coming from a cheap #^&%$, who has very few charging cubs, and uses battery chargers, between uses.) Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

panda
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49910

Postby panda » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 am

Friend of mine was having trouble with his 6v system. I suggested he convert to 12v Alt. Not understanding what was involved he opted for keeping everything 6v. Bottom line, almost $200 later and still replacing parts. I'll convert to 12v every time.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:54 am

You will probably need to change the amp meter, most original were only rated at 20 amps. Alternators put out considerably more than 20 amps.

12 volt alternator, on hand. 6 volt coil, on hand, with a $4.00 Chrysler ballast resistor. Two or three light bulbs. New amp gauge. Diode - depending on which type alternator. Use existing wiring if in good condition. $20 to $30 if you make your own brackets, plus battery.

I really don't want to spend $40 or more on a core plus a rebuild of $150 or more and then add in all the other things I have to change over like I stated.
Plus cost of voltage regulator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”