This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Possible parts cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub (Family Bought New)
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Possible parts cub

Postby southernthunder » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 am

Hello everyone, I have found a possible doner tractor for my 50 model cub and need a little advice. This one is a complete early 50s that the guy said he got one a trade but has not tried to crank. Motor is free and he says there is no visable cracks anywhere that he can find. He is asking $800 for it. my question is does this price sounds ok for something not running? Also is there anything special to look for other thanks cracks at engine mounts, lower radiator housing, and final drives? The sheet metal looks straight in the pics I have , just covered in surface rust. Thanks for the advice.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Possible parts cub

Postby coppersmythe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:10 am

good morning from the deep south . it seems to me that this type question "what is it worth" boils down to one thing , time vs price. how quik do you want/need it . for me , price comes down quite a bit when they do not run , bad clutch, bad tranny , bad pto, knocking engine, could all be there $$$$ , and you will never know . my first cub was $700 ,not running , with a parts cub . it needed a little work , but the "parts" cub ended up having a better motor than the "good" cub . i take my time, and have found a nice running cub with two sweet implements for $800, another non runner that turned out great for $500 with a perfect belly mower , and there is one now on craigslist ( baton rouge, la. , farm and garden ) for $650 with implements . and , i missed another $600/650 cub that i hand cranked and ran like a top that sold in hours . the last few examples were in the last four months. coppersmythe....................................................PS: BUT , that is my experience in my area !

southernthunder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub (Family Bought New)
1950 Cub
1950 TO-20

Postby southernthunder » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks for the reply, I have been watching craigslist one and off for the last year or so and have seen the $600 tractors come up once or twice, but seems its always when I don't have the extra $$$ right then and usally don't last but a day or so. Also there's a lot of running tractors, some with equipment, some restored, for $1800-$5000. I have a good running engine for my current cub so not running isn't that big of a deal and the seller offered for me to pull covers, final drive,etc, to look at gear condition and such. I need some of the internal gears and such, but big things are final drive housings, lower rediator support, sheetmetal, front rims, floorpan, and such. As it seems a complete replacement tractor would be my smartest move, but I need a fair tractor to part out to keep the sentamental value in the one I have. Thanks, mike

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 am

Non-running parts cub with at least 1 implement $500-600 seems to be fair. The only problem I found with the 'parts cub' path is that instead of parting it, some dummy decided to fix it....so now I have 2 cubs that run and no parts cub....back to where I started.
It's a roll of the dice and it's only money.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

southernthunder wrote: I have been watching craigslist one and off for the last year or so and have seen the $600 tractors come up once or twice, but seems its always when I don't have the extra $$$ right then and usally don't last but a day or so.

Either that, or the seller doesn't give a phone number and will NOT answer their email! :evil:

IMO if it's complete $600 is a reasonable price for a non running Cub.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”