This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replacing transmission rear shields and bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
equeen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27292

Re: Replacing transmission rear shields and bearing

Postby equeen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Okay, my memory was a bit fuzzy regarding the noise, so called my son.

It was similar in all gears and he describes as it as somewhat of a "rattling" type noise.
Since the shaft had moved forward, the rear spline for the pto was partially riding on the rear bearing. Spline was still okay, but perhaps enough spline spinning around on rear roller bearings to have caused the noise.... Hmmm???

We did not replace the front bearing. Noise was on level ground.

Additional info that may be helpful. The Cub would stall out when tried to run in 3d. (Before the split, I was thinking that rear bearing was "all messed up" and probably had shaft area messed up; thus binding and 3d gear just couldn't handle it. But that was not the case. Cub now runs fine in 3d as well.

Reason for my continued interest is noise in a couple of Cubs I have and possible causes, thus planning for parts before splitting - as well as what to look for when I open them up.

Oops, also, the front bearing oil hole was gummed up. We cleaned it and splash "collector". Counter-oops, the front bearing was a sealed bearing. Hmmm? Still pondering.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jes009
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24401
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub w/grader blade and 42" belly mower
1964 International Cub Lo-Boy

Postby jes009 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Bill V in Md wrote:I was able to remove the rear bearing on my 48 Cub without taking out the differential. The below photo was taken after installing new bearing and shield. With the input shaft removed, you can also drive the old bearing out the rear from the front side of the transmission case.
Rear Bearing Trans Spline Shaft_Rear Shield 001.jpg

Hi Bill-

I know this is an older post that I'm replying to, but how exactly did you remove the rear bearing on your cub without taking out the differential? I'm about to start this on my 49 Cub and was thinking that I'd need to dismantel just about everything to be able to pull and replace the rear bearing. Can the oil/heat shields also be replaced without dismantling everything? If you still have pictures that would be great, but if not, I just appreciate any help you can supply! Or anyone else for that matter! :D

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:36 pm

jes009 wrote:
Bill V in Md wrote:I was able to remove the rear bearing on my 48 Cub without taking out the differential. The below photo was taken after installing new bearing and shield. With the input shaft removed, you can also drive the old bearing out the rear from the front side of the transmission case.
Rear Bearing Trans Spline Shaft_Rear Shield 001.jpg

Hi Bill-

I know this is an older post that I'm replying to, but how exactly did you remove the rear bearing on your cub without taking out the differential? I'm about to start this on my 49 Cub and was thinking that I'd need to dismantel just about everything to be able to pull and replace the rear bearing. Can the oil/heat shields also be replaced without dismantling everything? If you still have pictures that would be great, but if not, I just appreciate any help you can supply! Or anyone else for that matter! :D

jes009,
After draining the transmission oil and removing the input transmission shaft and all the gears mounted on it, you can drive out the reference bearing from the front of the transmission case. You will have to also remove the rear transmission cover to retrieve the bearing. See below photos. I used a long ratchet extension with a large socket mounted on the end.
Bill
Transmission Shaft Rear Bearing 007.jpg
Rear Transmission Cover 002.jpg
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”