This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

added hydraulics lots of smoke from breather

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
easternshorecub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21620

added hydraulics lots of smoke from breather

Postby easternshorecub » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 am

After adding hydraulics to the cub, now I am getting a lot of smoke from the crankcase breather. It didn't smoke that much before I added the hydraulics. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: added hydraulics lots of smoke from breather

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 am

It may be leaking Hydraulic fluid into the oil pan by way of the pump seal
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Is the egine labored-- as a load being put on it? If so, could be the new hydraulics are being restricted somewhere.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

JC-Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24986
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby JC-Cub » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Sounds right to me Boss. Check your dip stick to see if you have to much oil in the crankcase

easternshorecub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby easternshorecub » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:47 pm

I just rebuilt the pump and just put all new rings in it. I hope I rebuilt it properly. I also just changed the oil and the oil I use is clear I just checked the dipstick and there does not appear to be more than what I put in nor does it have an orange tint like the color of hytran. I did notice that the engine acts like it has a load on when when the hydalics goes through the lifting cycle. No extra load when going through the lowering motion. At this point I don't have anything attached to the hydraulics.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm

With the engine running at a fast idle; move the touch control lever and see does the engine speed up while moving or slow down. If it speeds up while moving there is a stuck bypass valve and that will put more pressure on the engine, If it slows down then it is normal and you have an engine problem.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Funny thing engines smoking. My brother in law just got a new to him 74 international. got it home and it was smoking. Called me up to pick my brain. (very small task) We went through all the different sinareios. He called me back the next day and told me his choke was stuck on. Fixed the choke and the smoke cleared right up. If you had the engine apart and put new rings in it, the oil in the cylinders will smoke a little untill its burned off. Did you hone your cylinders? How long was your tractor down? Is your fuel fresh or old? Did you put any fuel additive in your tank? some times depending on what you use it will smoke more than normal till the fule additive is flushed out by use. Did you stagger your rings when you installed them? if not that could allow some blowby.
Pete from Virginia Beach

easternshorecub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby easternshorecub » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Sorry I just rebuilt the hydraulic pump, not the engine. The engine acts like it has a load on it when i move the control lever the lift position. Is that what you consider slowing the engine down?

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:21 pm

OK yes I reread your post. I see you put new O rings in the pump and the smoke you talk about is coming out your breather not your exhaust. I think it would be a good Idea to do a compresion check. Sounds like you are getting blow by. Might be piston rings.
Pete from Virginia Beach

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:01 pm

easternshorecub wrote:Sorry I just rebuilt the hydraulic pump, not the engine. The engine acts like it has a load on it when i move the control lever the lift position. Is that what you consider slowing the engine down?
Normally with no implement, it does load going down, which is pulling the lever back. There is a restrictor there to prevent sudden drops. raising a heavy implement will make the engine labor, but it should lighten up when it stops moving.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”