This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

47 hydrulic pump problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
casefrank
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 85625

47 hydrulic pump problem

Postby casefrank » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 am

Hi all, I'm in the process of rebuilding a 47 cub that has hydrulics and the pump is leaking oil into the block.
I will admit that I took the pump apart when I took it off and now need help fixing my problem.
Thanks Frank

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 47 hydrulic pump problem

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 am

Frank, Welcome to the Forum. Here's a link to a pictorial that should help you with the rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44196
If you have any problems or questions as you get into it, feel free to ask.

Bob

Edit: most of the kits have extra o-rings/fiber washers so that the newer version of the pump can also be rebuilt. Replace what you take out and don't worry about the extras.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 am

That is a very good tutorial, but there are a couple things that are not covered, One is that not all pumps used an O-ring, some early ones used an oil sea instead. second, not all pumps used the little rubber buttons that are shown, I do not know if that coincided with the oil seal change or not. Since a 47 would not have originally had a hydraulic system, and it would have been installed later you have to go by what is there, not what should be there. If your pump uses the seal rather than O-ring, the part number is IH 355742R91 which is a NAPA 5068. For smoothing a shaft that has a seal groove or is a little rough I like to use these in my Dremel, they are called Abrasive Finishing Buffs, and are available form 180 to 320 grit. They are made to be used with the EZ-Lock shaft, but can also be used with the original screw type shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 am

John, what is the size of those abrasive discs that you show in your photo? How do you chuck them in a Dremel tool? Stanley
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

They are approximately 1 inch across and attach to the Dremel using either the EZ lock mandrel http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories ... ?pid=EZ402 or the standard mandrel http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories ... px?pid=402

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for the info, John. My wife is a wood carver and has several Dremel tools with lots of bits of various kinds, but I had never seen the EZ lock mandrel.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:55 pm

thiggy wrote:Thanks for the info, John. My wife is a wood carver and has several Dremel tools with lots of bits of various kinds, but I had never seen the EZ lock mandrel.
That is a fairly new item, only been on the market for a couple years so far as I know. You can mount those wheels on the standard mandrel with a screw, but the EZ Lock is much handier. Which is good, because those abrasive wheels do not have a very long lifespan.

Return to “Farmall Cub”