This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

plowing sleet

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

plowing sleet

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:05 pm

We got about 4 inches of sleet mixed with a little snow, and ending with a small bit if freezing rain yesterday into last night. It was so cold it did not stick together so it moved easily once the crust was broken, but was very heavy like pushing sand or small gravel. The crust was hard enough to walk on in places, would even carry the cub in places, but once it broke, it was a lot of effort to walk. The good thing about it was that even with vehicles running over it there was no packing, and it plowed off clean. The second picture is where I piled up cleaning the turnaround area. It is well over knee high.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: plowing sleet

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 am

We are supposed to get something over the weekend I hope it isn't like that though.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rodney51Cub » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:54 am

Thursday, we got a little sleet but more freezing rain. Made some trees droop. It then warmed up over night and started raining. By friday morning, very little ice left. Hopefully this is the last of winter for our area. I can handle the snow but the freezing rain and ice make me talk to myself. :lol:
USAF 1976 - 1996

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 am

Guess I'll just have to move South so I can enjoy some snow! LOL !! Haven't had any appreciable amount the last 2 winters (first 2 winters we've stayed in IL in 15 years!) Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 am

We had to push an inch or so of snow and sleet last Sunday to clear the AstroTurf field for Lacrosse, Took about 3 hours with 3 cubs. Very cold and windy. That is not the best seat time I have had
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:46 am

Been watching close and all I ever have anymore is more mud... :(
If it wasn't for the storm running up the coast back in Oct. we'd had no winter here at all.
I'm sure those in higher places here in WVa have had enough.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:53 am

Hey John, just a quick note...75 degrees here. Might get cold next week, down to the 50's....Brrrrrr. Steve K. (Central California)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 am

Steve K. CALIF wrote:Hey John, just a quick note...75 degrees here. Might get cold next week, down to the 50's....Brrrrrr. Steve K. (Central California)
Reminds me of a trip I made to Sacramento early one spring several years ago. Was a beautiful 65 degrees when I left Lambert airport in St. Louis, so I put my heavy coat in my suitcase. Landed at Sacramento, and when I walked out the door of the terminal was about 40. I opened my suit case and pulled out my heavy coat ant put it on, but the way people were looking at me I thought I was going to have to fight to keep it. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 am

Just a few miles from John's at my brothers, last night I needed to knock down the ridge at the edge of the highway to make it easier to get my car in and out. Took the cub with the plow and started down the driveway. Thought I'd plow as I went, didn't really need to but an opportunity is an opportunity. Blade skidded across the frozen crust, with enough down pressure to break through it was like hitting a stump. The second time I climbed back over the steering wheel into the seat I said "Self, this REALLY doesn't need plowed." (OK it wasn't that bad but forward movement did cease rather quickly). So I lifted the blade and went out to the road and cleaned that up and drove back. Noticed the cub ag tires had bit into the crust a little, soooooo if the cub breaks it a little and H will break it a lot :D Fired up Rabbit Holler Flashes H Brutus and took a drive out to the road and back and made a nice tire pattern but didn't break through the crust completely :( . All was fine until I got in my car and started to drive out the driveway. Who would of thunk that it would be like driving down a railroad track on the cross ties. I about vibrated my car to pieces :shock:

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 am

You mean Brutus started and ran all way to end of drive and back :{_}: :{_}: Now i guess we need a blade for the H"s, wait a minute we got one didnt we? Oh yes thats at Jeremys house
on the other H plowing his driveway.Just call Jeremy n see if he can run the 10 miles or so over ahead of you n clean that up for his Dear ole Uncle . :big smirk:

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62278

Postby Eikel » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm

We had about a 4" mix of sleet and snow with nice crust on top. Had to use the '48 to tow a trailer thru the woods, crust was breaking but traction wasn't bad. Everything was fine until I needed to turn uphill on a little grade, turning the wheels pushes the crust to the mud underneath and creates a rut in the snow/ice. Sure glad the brakes can be worked independantly or I'd probably still sitting in the woods doing nothing more than looking pretty.

Return to “Farmall Cub”