This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Confused on what controle valve I need

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Confused on what controle valve I need

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:00 pm

If you can buy two single open center lever control valves cheaper than one double valve, I would go with two. You can attach them together with a "close" NPT nipple. Just connect the "out" on the first to the "in" port of the second. The two bodies will be so close together that you cannot see between them, making them appear as one. Then connect the line from the pump to "in" port of the first valve and continue with the line from the "out" port of the second valve. No deadhead here. The fluid is continually pumping with no stopping.

I think that I am right about this, even though it has been around 40 years since I hooked up valves this way.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 am

As others have said, need open center valves. Either combo or two valves. Since there are valves and a TC unit after you should use power beyond valves although for the low pressure involved it may not be a problem. Make sure the pressure release valve can be adjusted low enough for a cub pump. The reservoir needs to be above the TC tank since it will drain by gravity. The TC either has a pipe plug for the fill plug or has some strange thread. Easier if it standard pipe thread. If not you can either lathe a plug with the correct threads or drill and tap a hole in the center of the old plug. The size of the reservoir is dependant on the fluid displaced and some extra for splashing in the tank. The fluid displaced does not depend on the pump, valves, or hoses but only on the cylinders. For a single acting, calculate the volume of the cylinder, diameter and stroke length. For a double acting, depends on the shaft size and length, not the cylinder diameter.

The surplus center has lots of hydraulics. They will have standard mount, name brand, new valves with handles. I would look for something like that. You may also want to convert the lift cylinders to double acting, down pressure is useful at times. You may also want to get a high pressure gauge for a few dollars to set the relief valve.

From The Surplus Center:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Pete:

If your TC Reservoir has the odd ball thread, let me know. I happen to have 3 custom made adapters to go from the 7/8' to 3/4" NPT - that appear in the Wouldn't This Frost Your Heinie ? thread. The Fairview fitting links are busted so I am going to have to redo them - updated pages - now everything is flash .. sheeesh :big give up:

Here are the other threads that may be useful:

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Pete, I can not help you on this. I would PM Rick Prentice , He is right good on hydraulic stuff. Not that you are not getting good advice. But as I said he is right good :wink:
Maybe he will read this thread and reply.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”