Re: Confused on what controle valve I need

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:00 pm

If you can buy two single open center lever control valves cheaper than one double valve, I would go with two. You can attach them together with a "close" NPT nipple. Just connect the "out" on the first to the "in" port of the second. The two bodies will be so close together that you cannot see between them, making them appear as one. Then connect the line from the pump to "in" port of the first valve and continue with the line from the "out" port of the second valve. No deadhead here. The fluid is continually pumping with no stopping.

I think that I am right about this, even though it has been around 40 years since I hooked up valves this way.

Re: Confused on what controle valve I need

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 am

As others have said, need open center valves. Either combo or two valves. Since there are valves and a TC unit after you should use power beyond valves although for the low pressure involved it may not be a problem. Make sure the pressure release valve can be adjusted low enough for a cub pump. The reservoir needs to be above the TC tank since it will drain by gravity. The TC either has a pipe plug for the fill plug or has some strange thread. Easier if it standard pipe thread. If not you can either lathe a plug with the correct threads or drill and tap a hole in the center of the old plug. The size of the reservoir is dependant on the fluid displaced and some extra for splashing in the tank. The fluid displaced does not depend on the pump, valves, or hoses but only on the cylinders. For a single acting, calculate the volume of the cylinder, diameter and stroke length. For a double acting, depends on the shaft size and length, not the cylinder diameter.

The surplus center has lots of hydraulics. They will have standard mount, name brand, new valves with handles. I would look for something like that. You may also want to convert the lift cylinders to double acting, down pressure is useful at times. You may also want to get a high pressure gauge for a few dollars to set the relief valve.

From The Surplus Center:



Re: Confused on what controle valve I need

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:49 pm


If your TC Reservoir has the odd ball thread, let me know. I happen to have 3 custom made adapters to go from the 7/8' to 3/4" NPT - that appear in the Wouldn't This Frost Your Heinie ? thread. The Fairview fitting links are busted so I am going to have to redo them - updated pages - now everything is flash .. sheeesh :big give up:

Here are the other threads that may be useful:

CBoK wrote:

Re: Confused on what controle valve I need

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Pete, I can not help you on this. I would PM Rick Prentice , He is right good on hydraulic stuff. Not that you are not getting good advice. But as I said he is right good :wink:
Maybe he will read this thread and reply.