Hood bolts@radiator

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Can anyone tell me if you can buy the bolts for the hood that fasten into the radiator? My purchase last year of a 67 ih cub has a leaking radiator up near the cap. I realized later it was due to the hood resting on the radiator because one of the bolts was broke off. There is a spacer on the bolt. I don't know if it is permanently attached or if tome made it that way. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank
Pittsburg, IN

Re: Hood bolts@radiator

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:16 pm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/sp/319fp.htm

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:25 pm

assuming you mean the ones that go here, I believe those are 5/16 x 1/2 if I remember correctly. That is actually a radiator support rather than being part of the radiator they are bolted into.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

square hood is different than round hood, they use a threaded spacer between the hood and radiator than the screw from the outside threads in to the spacer
Tim

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Sorry, do not have when hoods change memorized, should have realized when you said spacer.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 am

I need one also. We used to use them in the Navy to weld onto the bulkheads then we would attach bracets and cable ways to them. Any nut and bolt dealer should have them.

thrdstdw.jpg
Like fastenal comes to mind

(Edit) Dont pay atention to the dimentions not sure what size is require. male female stand offs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 am

I do not know the size, but if they are not available from case/IH you may be able to get them here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#male-female-standoffs/=lm9flv

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 am

They are no longer available. I made some using a steel sleeve then taping it the correct thread. Then I cut off a bolt for the end that goes into the rad support and put it in with thread lock.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 am

I belive # 37 is what he needs along with the bolt.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 am

I guess while i was looking for a picture the question has been answered. I am SLOOOOW

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 am

I did a how to on it but do not know where it is , will look
Boss

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 am

Here is a link to what I used once
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47649&hilit=Square+hood+bolt

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am

This should work. Just use a 1/4-20 truss head screw instead of a 5/16-18.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm

A coupling nut plus a bit of threaded rod could be used to fabricate the part. A bit of epoxy could secure the rod in the nut. Then cut to desired length.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Many thanks, glad to know they are not available so I won't spend my time looking and start making. Now to get the busted one out :D