This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1Sarge
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38851
Tractors Owned: '52 Cub
'61 Cub
Ford 2000
8N Ford
L2550 Kubota
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch questions

Postby 1Sarge » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't post much here, but have learned a lot from this forum. I picked up three more tractors the other day in a package deal. Two more cubs and a M. All three would be considered non-running and I saved them from a scrapper. One of the Cubs is a '61 and the other is a '49. With very little work I have the '61 running. The problem now is the clutch. It is hard to get in gear and grinds bad when you try. After getting it in gear it does fine and the transmission is very quite. I have adjusted the pressure plate fingers out to 1-1/4" and the free travel to 1" and still have the problem. When the clutch is engaged, the main shaft keeps turning causing the grinding. Could this be the pilot bearing causing this? I know the tractor has not ran in a few years but not sure how long....any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Clutch questions

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

The problem is probably a worn throw out bearing. Could be a couple of other problems but the throwout bearing is most common.

Remove the inspection plate on the bottom of the torque tube. There should be about 1/4" distance between the throwout bearing and pressure plate fingers. If much more than 1/4" you may need to adjust the pedal free play.

You will also be able to see the condition of the throwout bearing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Stand the cub on the front as high as possible and spray the clutch shaft [ through the inspection hole ] with liquid wrench PB , etc. and let it run down the shaft. it will get to the pilot bushing after some time. it will most likely fix your problem with out splitting the cub
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

for clarification jack the back end up as high as you can m or park it on a steep hill
I have fixed quit a few like this
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

1Sarge
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38851
Tractors Owned: '52 Cub
'61 Cub
Ford 2000
8N Ford
L2550 Kubota

Postby 1Sarge » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Okay, thanks for the help. I'll try the PB blaster on the clutch shaft. I had thought about something like that, but didn't want to take the chance of getting it on the clutch disc.
This Cub smoked kinda bad when I first got it started, but with a good dose of SeaFoam in the oil and gas it has about cleared up. Hopeing not do have to do anything major to it as I have about $400 invested in it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 pm

$400- for a running Cub. Great buy.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”