This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

how do you make a cub "hook up" better

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: how do you make a cub "hook up" better

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Do you use your rear brakes individually to aid in getting traction to the wheel that can use it? If not, you will be surprised at how much that helps even without adding a second set of weights. Just lightly apply the brake on the side that is spinning to direct the power to the other wheel. It is amazing what they will push when the power gets to the ground.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chevyguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16115

Postby Chevyguy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 pm

You might consider adding weight to your tires. Beet Juice is a very dense liquid that won't deteriorate your rims like calcium will but it's pricey. A lower cost alternative is windshield washer fluid. Adding 10 gallons to each rear tire would add about 80 pounds of weight to the bottom of each tire.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 am

My Loboy with ags, rear weights, and tire chains would push snow very well--but as Rudi said, over 3 feet of heavy snow was out of the question. Less than that, very good traction, surprisingly so. Having said that, it would NOT pull my boat (1200 lbs) out of the water (sandy beach). Trailer wheels sunk in a bit and the tractor just didn't have the power for the job. It was a good running Cub, too--powered a 59" Woods very well.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:10 pm

I have the Ag tires with weights and chains and succeeded in plowing a substantial amount of my stone driveway into the yard this year, hehe.
In the past, my experiences plowing snow was pretty much limited to an 8 HP Wheel Horse and a 12 HP Cub Cadet. I was amazed what the LoBoy would plow. Seldom do we get more than 12" of the white stuff, but the Wheel Horse was all I had in the blizzard of 78. :)

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 am

sdurnal wrote:I have the Ag tires with weights and chains and succeeded in plowing a substantial amount of my stone driveway into the yard this year, hehe.
In the past, my experiences plowing snow was pretty much limited to an 8 HP Wheel Horse and a 12 HP Cub Cadet. I was amazed what the LoBoy would plow. Seldom do we get more than 12" of the white stuff, but the Wheel Horse was all I had in the blizzard of 78. :)

Oh my. Then it was pretty much useless, wasn't it? Except for the places that the snow blew from to pile up in the drifts. :lol: :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I could make a pass, (in some spots) with the blade up and get a couple of feet, then back up and hit it hard again. Alot of work, and truthfully not much better than a snow shovel. I worked it pretty hard.
At 23 yrs old, I was in a bit better condition too! (the Wheel Horse was a "rescue tractor" just like the Cub Cadet is) Sorry for drifting off-topic..

Return to “Farmall Cub”