This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seat support

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Seat support

Postby Patbretagne » Thu May 12, 2005 1:59 am

There's been discussion on seats recently and I wonder if you guys over there might be interested to see a French seat support? Image

My "Number 1" is now in process of dis-assembly (i'm tearing it down!) as there was definitely one exhaust valve stuck up and at some time the radiator has been frozen and all the core bottoms have come unsoldered from the bottom header, will have to have this done professionally, so why not bite the bullet and go the whole hog.

It ran quite nicely on three cylinders after I'd retimed it (for a couple of minutes only with no coolant) no wierd noises nothing flopping off no great oil leaks, I'll keep you posted,
Pat

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 12, 2005 7:12 am

A little differen than what I am used too, but looks like a good system. I am curious though, as to what the bar running crosswise between the hand lift and the seat is. It looks as if it has a U shaped bracket at each end.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 12, 2005 7:56 am

I believe that is part of the latch mechanism for a 2-way plow.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu May 12, 2005 9:38 am

Jim Becker wrote:I believe that is part of the latch mechanism for a 2-way plow.

I thought so too, but it does look different than we are used to. The "U" shaped ends are not familiar. The chain brackets bolted to the rockshaft are a strong clue.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Thu May 12, 2005 11:04 am

Jim Becker wrote:I believe that is part of the latch mechanism for a 2-way plow.

yes it is.
I believe that single way plows where not aviable in France.
Even before WW2 farmers used to plow with horse drawn two way plows. (maybe because fields were way much smaller than american ones...)

I think IH would has had some difficulties to sell FFcubs With single way plows ( so did Massey with the pony)

I've never noticed that french "hold it lifted" mechanism for the plow was different from the american one. has anybody a picture to post?

Now about the seat. I like the french styled one Because:
1 the tool box is integrated
2 it is undestroyable
3 you can fit it very easely to your legs length. (even if you must not be too tall to drive a cub. my seat is bolted at the most rear place and my left knee still hit the sterring wheel support :? )

the reverse side of coin is that it is not suspended with a steel spring but with 2 rubber silentblocs which may not stand 50 years of sun exposure.
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu May 12, 2005 11:24 am

I don't have a very good picture of the complete ststem, but this one shows the part that I see as different.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Thu May 12, 2005 4:03 pm

Your exactly right, there is a handle on each side plough and one selects whether it is the left or right plough you want to use, having taken the weight of them on the LH lever, the spring counterbalancing the weight of the plough.
Tomorrow I'll take a pic of the setup as it is attached and post it. You are right it is a little different from what I can see from your photo,

Pat

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Promissed plough lever support Pic

Postby Patbretagne » Sun May 15, 2005 1:40 pm

As promissed, a picture of the french plough raise lower selection handle guide. Same each side for the double plough,
Compare with US photo in this post
Pat

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon May 16, 2005 1:26 am

I'm a little (well, ok, a lot) ignorant on the French Cub. These were made by the same IH as our American Cubs? And were they manufactured in France or USA? Any thought why there were some of these differences if they were made by the same IH? Thanks for helping with my confusion.

Dan Stuckey
Altoona, PA.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 16, 2005 6:14 am

Dan, Mike Schmudlach is the resident expert on French cubs but it is my understanding that they were built in France by IH originally using many major parts from the U.S. and gradually changing to more French made components. The electrical system components were always European. If you search for posts from Mike, I believe he has a mini-history somewhere in the archives.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”