This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Differential Bearing Retainer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DuaneFriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98953
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

Differential Bearing Retainer

Postby DuaneFriend » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 am

I put in a new differential seal tonight. I was going to torque the retainer bolts b/c I had loosened them. The bolts just kept tightening and I had the wrench set for 45 lbs.
I felt one bolt go and was able to get it back out. Is there anything special about the bolts? Grade 5? Maybe I need to get a smaller torque wrench.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Differential Bearing Retainer

Postby bob in CT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 am

Grade 8 ONLY at 45 ft-lbs. I had to double check that spec. Have you used this wrench before? What type is it?

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Differential Bearing Retainer

Postby ntrenn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:12 am

Not the first person here recently that's stripped bolts. IH had torque specs that were, in my opinion, a little on the aggressive side. 45 ft-lbs on a 3/8 bolt is really pushing the limits. I back them down to the GM standard for a 3/8 grade 8 bolt and torque them at 40 ft-lbs. The little bit of clamp that you lose won't hurt anything but the time you save repairing threads is worth it.

As far as the original question - if you are buying replacement bolts - grade 8 is the way to go.
Yes - would be a good idea to get a reference check on your torque wrench - you may just be reading the vernier incorrectly and have the wrench at 55 instead of 45.....

Return to “Farmall Cub”