This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Side Dresser Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Side Dresser Questions

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Anybody know if both these gears (number 2 on the planter drive) are the same? I'm wanting to run my fertilize hopper with my planter trying to find the gear I need.
Most I see appear to be larger anybody have a part number or tooth count or size? Here's one tst has for sale it looks larger

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Side Dresser Questions

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:14 pm

They dont have to be the same. that is where you get your spacing on the planter and the amount of fertilizer on the side dresser. There is a gate on the hopper, but you can also change the gearing. I would read the manual if I were you. I could explain it all to you but that would teach you nothing.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

jamieei
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30641
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
144 cultivators, 42" woods belly mower, duplex planters and sidedresser
1949 M
Two row mounted cultivators, side dressers, 3 pt, lambert double disk brakes
1946 A
cultivators, B motor

Postby jamieei » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 pm

If you look at all the planter manuals, you'll see that there are a couple different gears that were used on the final drive. I made myself a chart last year of what sprocket went where for each of the different setups. From what I've seen and recall, there is a base sprocket setup that the manuals use and a couple have charts of seed spacing with different sprocket combinations. The fertilizer charts are based on having a 15 tooth sprocket on the countershaft and fertilizer drive and two 9 tooth sprockets on the planter drive. If the inner was 9 and the outer was changed to say 12, you would be putting out more fertizer. I don't see the point in changing the ratio to the fertilizer drive because you have the adjusting lever. Planter? Yes definitely because you might be stuck with a playe that plants too close or too far apart.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 am

jamieei wrote:I don't see the point in changing the ratio to the fertilizer drive because you have the adjusting lever.

Sometimes one might need a fertilizer rate that you can't get by simply adjusting the lever on the hopper.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am

When you change the gear on the seed drive, you change the speed of the drive gear on the fertilizer!!!
send me a pm if you need any more info and I will give you my phone #
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”