This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stopleak success

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Stopleak success

Postby Dusty B » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Have a radiator that has what appears to be a minor leak - no apparent major gouges, etc..- Has anyone had success using a particular stop leak compound?? If so, which one and how successful has it been?? Really dreading pulling the radiator off for the 3rd time!! Thanks, Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Stopleak success

Postby Barnyard » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Since the Cub has a non pressurized system and no water pump to circulate the stop leak it doesn't always work. However, I have heard it will work if you use a seven pound radiator cap and let it run for awhile. You will probably get various answers to this.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Dusty, Here's a link to where Eugene talks about a product he uses: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=71872

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Dusty B wrote:........... Really dreading pulling the radiator off for the 3rd time!! Thanks, Dusty B
I don't have any thing to add about stop leak but I think you are looking at this as the glass half empty not half full :D type of thing. I mean what are you dreading? You know all the steps and have practiced them. :D :D Plus, as a bonus, all the radiator bolts should come out real easy so you don't have to worry about breaking any. If I were in your shoes I think I would be whistling a merry tune while I was draining the radiator and removing a hood. OK, pep talk over. Good luck!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Dusty, Here's a link to where Eugene talks about a product he uses: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=71872
Bob
7 1/2 months, added my pint or so of antifreeze today to top off the radiator in which I installed the product; Mendtite, cooling system sealer, heavy duty. Manufactured by Zecol Products Company, Medina, MN 55340.

This radiator is is pretty bad shape. Still has a very minor seep that showed up months after product first installed. Gonna use the tractor this spring to mow grass - see what happens. Thinking I will probably have to have the radiator recored.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Solder seal, Radiator repair, works very well.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks, Not ready to pull it yet! Going to put some air in the system and spray w/soapy water to try to see just how drastic the leak is. Then if it's not too bad, think it w/get the mendtite treatment! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Dusty B wrote:Thanks, Not ready to pull it yet! Going to put some air in the system and spray w/soapy water to try to see just how drastic the leak is. Then if it's not too bad, think it w/get the mendtite treatment! Dusty B

Be careful how much air you give it. You may create holes where there are now weak spots.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Chevyguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16115

Postby Chevyguy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 pm

I have had good luck with a product called Aluma Seal. It comes in a silver plastic tube with red caps on each end about the size of a 10 gauge shotgun shell. It kind of looks like fine sawdust, costs about 2 bucks. Works best when the system is up to temperature. Remove the radiator cap with the engine running and pour the entire contents of the tube into the radiator and run your tractor for 20 minutes or so and that should take care of your leak. I believe this may be the same product Mr. Boss Hogg is referring to.

RogerW
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RogerW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:10 pm

I had a leak somewhere in a car I had.Never could find it, but was losing coolant regularly. I have had problems plugging heater coils before with sealant, so I used black pepper. Put in about half a can, and it didn't lose any coolant for a couple of years, till I got rid of the car. Don't know if it would work with the Cub system though. I wold make sure it was warmed up good before using anything, anyway.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 pm

This is only thing that I have seen that will work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLDER-SEAL-RAD ... 4cfb3eeff4
I have tried many types. This works
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:55 pm

GM Seal tabs are the best I've used - they cost about $5.00 for a card of 5. Cub will need 2-3 initially which should stop the leak.
Bars Leak makes a similar product that's available at Oreilly for about $3.00. I've used them too, but I like the GM tabs better.

Some people call the GM ones 'Cadillac pills'.

Return to “Farmall Cub”