This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question about Touch Control???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Question about Touch Control???

Postby Bigschuss » Thu May 12, 2005 7:14 pm

I've always had a small leak in the touch control on my 58. Last weekend I was harrowing and after about 30 minutes my tractor was unable to lift the disks. So I topped-off the reservoir as shown in the owner's manual (probably a cup and a half of fluid). Back in the field I noticed that I wasn't just leaking fluid, my tractor was "bleeding" Hy-tran. I got her back to the garage and she continued to drip fluid for another 2 minutes. I really couldn't pinpoint the source of the leak, but it was definitely in the front of the unit (the side opposite the head gasket) and was possibly coming out of the block cover gasket.

I ordered gaskets and pulled the touch control off only to find that the block cover gasket looked to be in good condition and there was plenty of Hy-tran in the reservoir.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible that the "bleeding" from the touch control was simply an excess of Hy-tran leaking out....and if so, what would have been the source?

2. If it was simply the block cover gasket, why didn't it continue to leak excessively as it did when the engine was running?

3. Since I have the touch control off, would anybody suggest maintenance items to check while it's off?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips. I can't tell you how valuable this forum is to beginners like me.

Blair in Savoy, MA
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri May 13, 2005 6:22 am

Big,

The only thing I can think of right now is maybe you have, or had a loose bolt, or a loose filter screen plug (which is located on the head).

Sounds like to me you may have over-filled. The proper level I believe is about 1/2" below the fill hole.

Seeing that you have manual, I would go over the procedure for filling, testing, cleaning etc.

I've taken a couple apart now and changed out all the "O" rings and gaskets. If you don't have a good service manual, do not attempt until you get one.
Just Do It !

Return to “Farmall Cub”