This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What is helicoiling?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

What is helicoiling?

Postby Donegal Cub » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:52 am

Hi All,
I never was aware of a procedure called helicoiling. I never came across it until I became a 1st time Cub owner and joined the forum. Explanations /videos / pics very much appreciated. Needless to say I am a greenhorn mechanic :oops: I am of the opinion,from what I have read, that it is some type of method to repair threads in a bolt hole. Looking forward to replies from the experts,
Many Thanks, to all the guys who have advised me on oil changing and cleaning & setting points.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub. :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: What is helicoiling?

Postby tmays » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:13 am

Thomas

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby randallc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:20 am

Rudi has made a documentation that is a very good instruction page. The Helicoil is the name of the kit to repair threads. There are other thread repair methods as well but Helicoil seems to be pretty good way to do it.
Check out this link.
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=52696
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi All,
Great info re helicoiling,
Many Thanks,
Donegal Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Bernard:

It really is a lot cheaper than replacing a perfectly good final or any other part. Works on carbs, blocks and just about any thread that has been ruined. Once attempted and the 1st one is successful, it becomes familiar like an old friend as you keep doing them. Rots of fun :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm

One common place to need to Helicoil is the 5/8 implement bolt holes in the finals. The two main causes of these are loose bolts or improper bolts. The helicoil is a coil spring such that the inside hole matches a 5/8 bolt thread. The external thread is some non standard larger size. The drill bit required is 21/32 inch which is not a comon size but they are available. After carefully drilling out the defective bolt hole, ( I say carefully drilling it out for we don't want to drill all the way through the final for fear of an oil leak.) we will tap the hole (cut threads) with the special tap included in the helicoil kit. The next problem is that with a blind hole (one where the threads do not go all the way through) one must use a second bottom tap to get threads to the bottom of the hole. I found it necessary to buy a second kit and grind the end back of the included tap in order to remove the starting threads, that I may tap to the bottom of the hole.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”