This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy - don't hate me because i own a lo boy.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Treag
10+ Years
10+ Years

New guy - don't hate me because i own a lo boy.

Postby Treag » Fri May 13, 2005 12:28 pm

I am new to the cub world and now realize that you guys are seasoned pros. After reading, it seems that ownership of a lo boy is discouaged by your group. That being said, I am humbly asking for help. It is a 1973 - 74' model and it runs fairly well, but can use a tune up. The clutch will not disengauge completely and I have to cram it into gear. Once in gear, I can shift into other gears using the clutch with no grinding. Also, where can I find guards for the mower deck? Thank you very much. I apologize if I am bothering you.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Fri May 13, 2005 12:47 pm

Welcome to the forum, I have never read anything discouraging about lo-boys, as I have one (1956). Can you give me an example of a post that did this? All these folks here are great and a wealth of knowlege. Another site that I fin extremely helpful is:
http://www.atis.net/cgi-bin/FarmallCub.pl Lotsa good folks there too. Seeya around!
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Treag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Treag » Fri May 13, 2005 1:26 pm

No posts mentioned anything discouarging. I see that so many questions are directed to much earlier "true" models - i made my own assumption. Chalk it up to my "newness" - thank you

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri May 13, 2005 1:59 pm

Take a look at the serial numbers. It's sheer production volume that's causing the bulk of the discussion to be about "classic" (row crop) Cubs.

By the time the first LoBoys were introduced in 1955, the serial numbers for the original Cubs had surpassed 180,000. The classic Cub had a huuuuge head start.

There's just more of them.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 13, 2005 3:08 pm

However, if your Lo-Boy is a '73 or '74 model, it must be one of the numbered models, a 154 or 185. That series of models replaced the offset Lo-Boy in 1968. You won't see much discussion of them here because there are a lot more differences between them and the ones usually discussed here.

Most of the experts on the numbered Lo-Boys can be found on a Yahoo group at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ihcubloboyseries/
The regulars here will be glad to help when possible. But we may not be of much help on things like your PTO, clutch, steering, implement attachment etc.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri May 13, 2005 3:32 pm

It would appear you need to do some clutch adjustment and or replacement since it is not disengageing. The clutch on a 154/185 is mounted on the front of the transmission, and adjustment/replacement procedures are quite different than the earlier Cubs and Cub Lo-Boys with the clutch on the flywheel. The clutch and the PTO clutch are also know problem area on those model Lo-Boys. I would recommend that you start by obtaining a maintenance manual for the model you have. You can get them through Case IH dealers or from Binder Books http://www.binderbooks.com . It will make it easier to understand when you can see in writing rather someone trying to tell you, because it is different than a standard clutch setup.

Treag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Treag » Fri May 13, 2005 9:02 pm

Thank you all very much. You have given me a great head start. I have wanted this tractor for a long time and I love it.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat May 14, 2005 6:13 am

Treag wrote: I have wanted this tractor for a long time and I love it.

After many years of Cub Cadet ownership, I too wanted to find a "numbered" Loboy, but they are scarce as hen's teeth around here. Sooooo, I had to "settle" for my '55 (first year) Loboy. I'm toughing it out :lol:
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat May 14, 2005 7:37 am

When I bought my 51 F Cub it was the same way. I found that the clutch was worn enough to need replacing but did not want to do that yet so at first I carryed a hard stick and turned the pto on and stopped the pto with the stick witch in turn stopped the tranny gears and then I would shift her in gear. I have found that she sat for a # of years and the more I used the old girl maybe a few hours to 10 it got better untill now I dont have to wait only 5 seconds or so to shift it in gear the first time. So if you dont want to tear her down yet like me I wanted to run her for awhile to check out all the equipment to see what might need work but now everything is working good enough so I probly wont tear it down untill my 2 Hs are done.
JON

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 14, 2005 10:15 am

Treag, the main reason I hate you for owning a lowboy is because I don't. LOL. welcome to the forum.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sat May 14, 2005 12:46 pm

another tractor I use, a renault (yes surprise there are other tractor manufacturers!) (cubs is best through :lol: :lol: :D :D ) had the same trouble, there was oil and diesel on the clutch due to the previous owner leaving the Kigas starter turned on, diesel getting into the sump and filling over onto the clutch.
Not wishing to take it apart at that moment I put it in top gear, Brakes on, slipped clutch to warm it up for about 45 seconds, has dried the lining off and with a change of oil and filter no problems since, Don't burn the clutch out though!!!!
See if there is oil on the clutch first!!! :oops:
Pat

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat May 14, 2005 2:05 pm

Pat, never owned a Renault tractor, but did onw a Renault 4CV car back in the late 60s. It was 8 years old when I got it, and I drove it 80 miles round trip each day to college for 4 semesters.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Treag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Treag » Sat May 14, 2005 4:46 pm

Thank you for your help. After looking at the tractor more, i notice that the serial number has been worn off. It looks as though the fan belt had frayed or caught something in it and as it was rotating slapped the tag a few times. The last numbers under the serial number spot are 26804. The front iron plate on the mower engine look to be 351674 R1. Any clues as to what year this may be? Also, ytmag.com has parts. Are they dependable parts? I'm looking at the Pertronix "Flamethrower" coil with 40,000 volts to help my spark. Should I be? Also, does "blowby refer to the smoke coming out of the dipstick tube? The beller mower is a IH and has the numbers 3142 U-1111 on it. Any suggesstions on upkeep? I bought this beauty from a friend whose father in law gave it to him and neither us have a clue. Thank you once again. T

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 14, 2005 5:22 pm

Sounds like a 72 model 154 lo-boy. You can get parts from Case IH - ie - Carter & Gruenewald @ http://www.cngco.com if you don't have a local dealer. It will probably be cheaper than ytmag. I wouldn't waste my time on the flamethrower ignition if you're looking at it for performance. It won't help that much and you can buy a lot of points and condensor tune-up kits for the price of the pertronix unit.
Yes, blow-by is that white smoke coming out of the dipstick. It means pressure is building inside the crankcase. (coming past the rings) Get yourself an owner's manual from binder books and follow the maintenance items in it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat May 14, 2005 8:37 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Pat, never owned a Renault tractor, but did onw a Renault 4CV car back in the late 60s. It was 8 years old when I got it, and I drove it 80 miles round trip each day to college for 4 semesters.

Renault 4CV? Wasn't that the one with the chrome strips on the front which simulated a grille, and didn't it have suicide doors?
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Return to “Farmall Cub”