Re: My Restoration of Rex '48 - #21005

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:24 am

OMG - Amazing news just in.

They called me (well Cecil) on Friday the engine is done. YEA. I'll be picking it up Monday. Timing is in fact everything - I leave for Assateague Island on Wednesday! Happy for vacation - Want to get Rex'48 going......

Big Thanks to Cecil for all his Help getting this engine sorted. :thanx: :thanx: :thanx:

Ken

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 am

The engine is coming together - for those of you who were not at the NE Mini CubFest at Cecil's - here are some pix of Rex '48 being assembled. We had a few challenges - Like where did all the parts go from the dis-assembly 16 months ago. Once located - it proceeded nicely. BTW - the parts everyone (including me) accused me :D of losing were actually in a bag under the gaskets on Cecil's bench. I had left them in the block when it went to the shop.

Thanks to Cecil and Scott - we made a lot of progress. :thanx: :thanx: :thanx:
IMG_3685 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3694 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3684 (600x800).jpg

We had to shorten the dome on the pistons just a bit to ensure they clear the head.
IMG_3696 (800x600).jpg

This is were we had to leave it - Left to do Valve Keepers and the lock peripherals.
IMG_3699 (800x600).jpg

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:40 am

Well all - I made the plunge - Some of you will agree with my choice and I'm sure some will disagree. At the CubFest this weekend at Cecil's I was able to compare Cubs with both size tires. I chose these.

New Rex'48 Tires.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:16 am

Boy Howdy !!

Those Fire Crater pistons look sexy . In a '48 head ?

I'd better stay away . I'd be Fire Trenching fer sure !

Good choice for tire manufacturer IMO . Been using them for years .

All the Best

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Looks Great, Ken. I'll not say anything about your choice of tires... They'll look great and you'll get a little bit of extra ground speed!

Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Yea, good choice on the tires!!! That's what I've put on my tractors and have always been happy with them. One tire dealer ordered something from an off-brand company, and they looked like crap when they were mounted, like they were just not the correct size at all. I made him take them off and get Carlisle tires.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Today I got lazy and took the rear rims with tires to the local shop and had them unmount the turf tires 8x24 Goodyear Diamond Side walls. This weekend I will get them primed and painted. This evening I spent a couple of hours carefully cleaning the inside and outside of the rims.

Tomorrow pictures....Lastly You still clearly see the FIRESTONE MADE IN USA stamp inside the rim :D