Re: Restoration Update w/Pix #21005

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 am

I enjoyed looking at your pics. That will be one fine cub when you get it all back together in pristine condition. :{_}: It will still be running in another 60yrs, long after we are gone to that great workshop in the sky. :lol: Enjoy the work, enjoy the finished product and keep us updated as you go. God Bless the work
Donegal Cub :mrgreen:

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:32 am

Looks like you are making good progress. Is that a dealer decal located on the LH dogleg or something else?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 am

Ken,
Looks like you have a great project going there. I am sure having your father and sons involved with you will make this project turn out very good for everyone. And the cub will be very happy. The name implies there might be a number 2 before long. Outstanding.
Paul

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 am

Hi Paul - RauCub-2 is our 1955 with fast hitch. It's in much better shape and won't need quite the extensive repairs that our 48 is undergoing. I'm so totally hooked on this now....We'll be doing our 1947 H over also.....All it takes is time and $$$$$$ :)

Ken

Cleaned Parts

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:49 am

After doing my taxes yesterday I had a bit of time, albeit too short.....to work on the Cub. Pulled these parts from the parts washer - walked to the wire wheel w/goggles and mask. Here is the result.

Cleaned Parts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cleaned Parts

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 am

Looking good................

Prime a few of those parts before they rust

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:48 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:Looking good................

Prime a few of those parts before they rust

:Dito:
What I did with my '53 was after I cleaned the parts, I'd shoot them with Rustoleum red oxide primer. I'd also shoot many of the small parts with rattle can Case IH Iron Guard paint and set them aside ready for installation. That way I didn't have to mix paint and clean my gun for every little thing like that. I was real happy with the results.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 am

If I don't powder coat items I really like using the etching primer as it seems to really get a good hold on the metal.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Try putting your bolts,nuts small items in 100% pure lemon juice for 2 or 3 days,watch what happens. Hit them with a wire wheel brush,Man you will like it.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Ken:

The parts look nice and shiney. Nice to note you mentioned safety goggles and mask :D

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 am

Looks great. In addition to the goggles and mask, I like to wear leather coverings like an apron and gloves from the welding set, too. I really hate the small wires that stick into the levis and my skin! Thanks for posting. Steve K.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Going to take your advice on the apron. I sat down for dinner and pulled two of them from my left shirt sleeve.....I'm very happy with the results so far. Going to make a turntable for painting on Friday.

Original Rear Light Found

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:13 am

Hi all, many of you know I've been looking for the rear light for my Farmall Cub Restoration Project. So yesterday, I ordered one from this forum, had my bank issue the check.....This morning my Dad (93 years-old) was wrestling around and one our old barns and found our original battery box with the rear light still attached. I am so excited to know that I'll be able to put the original light and mounting hardware on our Cub - I just had to share.

Ken

IMG_2118.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Original Rear Light Found

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:49 am

Sounds like you need a good flashlight and go treasure hunting.

Re: Original Rear Light Found

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:Sounds like you need a good flashlight and go treasure hunting.

:bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: