This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub engine missing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DuaneFriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98953
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

Cub engine missing

Postby DuaneFriend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Thought I would plow the garden after work. On the second furrow, engine begins to miss and now is not running on all cylinders. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and put them back in. It ran on all four until I lifted the plow and then it started to miss again. I have had my Cub for quite a few years now and have never had a problem with missing until now. Any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub engine missing

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Duane, are you sure it's the plugs and not starving for fuel? You may have dirt in the main metering jet. Remove the jet and thoroughly clean the small hole inside using a soft thin wire such as copper. You may also want to give the jet a shot of carb cleaner through the hole. You could also have crud in your tank limiting fuel flow. While the jet is out open the fuel all the way. You should get a good steady flow from the carb.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Duane:

Image to what Bill said. After that, it might be a good idea to pour half a can of SeaFoam into a full tank of gas and the rest into the crankcase. :idea:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:24 am

i have to start drinking my coffee BEFORE i get on here in the morning , the title made me think that a SERIOUS problem with cub engines had come to light . :wink: coppersmythe..................................................

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am

If the engine is missing and not surging - - - there is a difference.

Surging = fuel related.

Missing/skipping = ignition related problem. Probably condenser or coil breaking down.

Suggest a complete engine tune up, including cleaning the carburetor main jet previously discussed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”