This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil pressure guage

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

oil pressure guage

Postby torchred89 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:49 am

I went to Case dealer to get oil pressure guage. He sold me one and it says for all farmall cubs. He told me I had to cut the two legs off of it and then it would work. The pipe thread on th new one is offset not in the center. You can only turn it half turn before it hits tractor housing. Am I missing something?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: oil pressure guage

Postby torchred89 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:30 am

Here is the part number he sold me. 53696R2. CNH orginal parts

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:21 am

Yea, parts guys at a lot of places think they know everything and are just idiots! It's not the right gauge. Unfortunately, if you've cut on it, they likely wont take it back. You might give it a try though, and maybe even make a stink about it just to make a point.

TM has the correct gauges depending on the year of your tractor.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/en_001newparts.htm
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

I don't think there's much you can do to mount it in it's original location. You could mount it as a remote gauge in the dash and run a line to where it goes into the oil filter. I personally would visit the parts guy again and politely point out that the gauge he said would work doesn't and why. He will have one of two responses which will tell you what kind of dealer you have; "Sorry here's the right one", or "tough" can't take it back because............. If it's the second answer then I would become a little less polite and a lot louder and point out again what he said and how that isn't correct. Then if no satisfactory result, he has a boss, DEMAND to speak to him. If the boss is not the owner and the boss won't correct THEIR PROBLEM find the owner and repeat.

I couldn't imagine a business not correcting their mistake way before this point but if they refuse to take ownership, I would not be beyond displaying a nice pretty painted up Cub at the local tractor show with the incorrect oil pressure gauge installed, a nice large oil slick down the engine, with a pan setting under it to catch the leak. Along with a nice advertisement for the dealer indicating it's their part which they insist is correct.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 am

The part number you gave comes up both at Messicks and at Case's PartsonLine as not valid. Recheck the part number. But either way, Bill is correct, far too many parts counter people today think they know it all but can't find a part even when you give them the number. 99% of Case Parts people I have been in contact with don't even know what a Cub is let alone how to find the part. I have given them the part #, the parts catalog number and revision, page number and at times even brought in the old part. The only ones who have a clue is the old guys... like some of us :lol:

At Case PartsonLine this is apparently the correct part# 31041DBGV, checking with Messicks it comes up as GAUGE, OIL PRESS $61.68 - no graphics available at either supplier.

For your '52, the one at TM - with the IH in the C circle would probably still be the correct one. It is more reasonably priced than the one at Messicks and the one at Messicks will be the newer style -- but not sure which one, probably the latest rendition.

This is the one at TM:

Image Image
part# 31041-DB

Other option is to get a good used one especially if you want to dash mount it. I used one from an H to mount in the dash, works perfectly and fits nicely.

Oh yeah, and Image to what Scrivet said :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:11 pm

The modern CaseIH number for the gauge is 536962R2.

I suspect torchred89 missed a digit when he was transcribing.

So... The parts man didn't screw up. That's the part CaseIH currently lists for that tractor.

There is likely no "right" gauge available directly from CaseIH. They are just stocking one gauge for all the tractors that use that type of gauge.

If you want to use this gauge, all you need is a short male-female brass 1/8" pipe thread nipple. That will space it out from the filter housing enough so you can tighten it up.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Then CaseIH is supplying a part that they say will work that won't. I would still take it back and let them know. If you are going to have to "make it work" then that should be told to you right up front just like "cut off the studs". I would rather hear "no longer available" than have to do a hack job.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby torchred89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:The modern CaseIH number for the gauge is 536962R2.

I suspect torchred89 missed a digit when he was transcribing.

So... The parts man didn't screw up. That's the part CaseIH currently lists for that tractor.

There is likely no "right" gauge available directly from CaseIH. They are just stocking one gauge for all the tractors that use that type of gauge.

If you want to use this gauge, all you need is a short male-female brass 1/8" pipe thread nipple. That will space it out from the filter housing enough so you can tighten it up.

Thanks! That saved me $26. Because I had already cut the legs of the guage. The fitting puts it out far enough.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:38 am

Scrivet wrote:Then CaseIH is supplying a part that they say will work that won't. I would still take it back and let them know. If you are going to have to "make it work" then that should be told to you right up front just like "cut off the studs". I would rather hear "no longer available" than have to do a hack job.

Yeah, but even if the information got up the supply chain to someone important at CNH, they probably wouldn't bother correcting the situation. They don't sell enough of them to justify having a separate part in the system.

Most likely because you're usually talking to a $10/hr parts monkey, complaining is a waste of time and breath. He's not going to remember all the special caveats about all the thousands of "will fit" parts he deals with either...

I'm not defending or making excuses, just stating the reality of the situation...

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am

528245R1 is the correct # I believe
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 am

Boss:

I just plugged 528245R1 into Messicks' and it comes back with 0 parts found. The correct part #'s are 528245R91 and then when you click on the part# it comes back as 536962R2 is a replacement part for the obsolete part(s) 536967R1 Prices are subject to change.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 am

yep i left out the 9
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:
Scrivet wrote:Then CaseIH is supplying a part that they say will work that won't. I would still take it back and let them know. If you are going to have to "make it work" then that should be told to you right up front just like "cut off the studs". I would rather hear "no longer available" than have to do a hack job.

Yeah, but even if the information got up the supply chain to someone important at CNH, they probably wouldn't bother correcting the situation. They don't sell enough of them to justify having a separate part in the system.

Most likely because you're usually talking to a $10/hr parts monkey, complaining is a waste of time and breath. He's not going to remember all the special caveats about all the thousands of "will fit" parts he deals with either...

I'm not defending or making excuses, just stating the reality of the situation...
The reality of the situation is still CaseIH is supplying a part that they say will work that won't. If they would have told torchred89 up front that he would have to add a fitting/adapter just like they said "you'll have to cut off the studs" then I don't have an issue with them. They didn't and it doesn't take a special part in the system, just a simple notation when they look up the part in the computer that they can relay to the customer. Yeah, I'm probably jousting at windmills but I don't like to just throw up my hands and say oh well. They take my money they should supply the correct product or tell me up front it needs to be modified.

I also tend to get frustrated with the counter help but at the same time I also try to realize that the 20 something "kid" behind the parts counter probably doesn't know a whole lot about a 60 something year old tractor, or ever watched a black and white TV, or knows how to dial a rotary phone, or a thousand other experiences I have had; so I try to give them some slack because he may be the one tweaking my life support computer in the nursing home in thirty or forty years.

Return to “Farmall Cub”