This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch adjustment?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45
Circle of Safety: Y

Clutch adjustment?

Postby grasser » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Sorry to ask, but need some help.
It takes a long time (10 seconds or so) after the clutch is depressed on my '48 Cub for things to stop spinning allowing me to put it in gear.
When shifting from one gear to another it's not an issue at all as the shaft quits turning as soon as the clutch is depressed as it should.
I adjusted the clutch fingers per the how to section last night, but it didn't really affect this issue.
I saw the clevis adjustment next to the throw out bearing through the inspection hole. Do I need to adjust that?
If so, can it be done through the hole?

Maybe the throw out bearing is bad?

Your help appreciated.
Justin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Clutch adjustment?

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

the main shaft may be tight in the pilot bushing, This can be helped by getting the rear of the cub much higher than the front and spraying liquid wrench on the shaft next to the clutch, it will creep down to the bushing. you need about an inch of free travel in the clutch pedal. IF you have much more that may be the problem.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:45 pm

grasser wrote:Sorry to ask, but need some help.

I saw the clevis adjustment next to the throw out bearing through the inspection hole. Do I need to adjust that?
If so, can it be done through the hole?

Maybe the throw out bearing is bad?

Yes, you can adjust your clutch pedal free play through the access hole. It sounds like you have an internal adjustment for that instead of the external bolt style adjuster on the pedal. This was changed by IH in 1948.

Once you have the 1" travel of your pedal (at the end) that David mentioned, make sure you maintain about an 1/8" space between the throw-out bearing face and the fingers.

Take a look at your throw-out bearing with a flash light, how much wearable surface is still beyond the retainer? Make sure it is not chipped or cracked.

Sounds like you have the pressure plate fingers at the correct height adjustment and they are all even if you followed the "how-to".

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm

A picture that may help:

(courtesy of Rudi's manual server)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-40.jpg

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 pm

I'm gonna say definitely a tight pilot bushing. When you are in gear, and stop the tractor to shift to another gear, the transmission stops the main shaft from spinning. Therefore no issue gear to gear. But when you have been in neutral with the clutch out, and depress the clutch to shift into a gear, there is nothing but friction to stop it, and the friction of the shaft on the pilot bushing is greater. Lubricant may be all it takes, otherwise you have to split and see if problem is shaft (bent or burred), or bushing (worn out).
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45

Postby grasser » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try lubing the shaft and see what happens.
This cub had sat for 2 years before I got it last summer. I've since had several issues that cleared up after either lube, or just use.
Justin

Return to “Farmall Cub”