This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How big is too big?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

How big is too big?

Postby ScottyG » Mon May 16, 2005 1:10 pm

I really put Henry to the test this past weekend pulling out about 10 of our old taxus (yew) shrubs that are about as old as the house (50 years or so). Some of these had stumps 6-8" in diameter. The larger ones took me about 8 good pulls before they finally came up. Even my wife was impressed with the way the tractor took the load telling me that I've now finally redeemed myself for having purchased something as old as the shrubs that it's handling. I wouldn't be able to do this with anything that the box stores carry, that's for sure!!

The yew has a root structure that goes down into the ground by about 3 feet in diameter and about 2 - 3 feet deep. My question to all of you is what's the largest shrub/stump type thing that you've pulled out with your Cub?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Mon May 16, 2005 4:27 pm

Please post a picture of the stump. I really can't seem to pull much of anything of size with the cub. I have pulled out a few shrubs 5-7 years old out. It's more a matter of keeping power to the ground in such a light tractor. I pull till the chain goes taught and then spinnerooski.

I have wondered how much pull with dual tires, ballast, and rear weights the old girl could muster.

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Mon May 16, 2005 5:56 pm

Guess I have never pulled out shrubs and stuff like that with one of my cubs. I have a D-6B and a D-8BF and I have knocked down some big stuff with them. In my part of Texas I don't guess we have Yew trees but am glad your tractor handled the job.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon May 16, 2005 6:09 pm

12'' diameter cedar that had been standing dead for almost three years. I was impressed by what the Cub pulled up too 8) . Wheel weights 8)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon May 16, 2005 6:37 pm

I have a couple white birch stumps from trees that died 2 or 3 years ago. One is dead as a stone and the other has anemic sprouts on it. both are about 10" diameter. I've been debating with myself whether the M can pull them out. I'm sure no Cub can. Maybe I'll try it soon. They're in the way of the garden.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon May 16, 2005 6:40 pm

I have some serious 'chain tracks' on my tailgate from pulling stumps with the truck..... No pin in the hitch and about 10 came out with no problem.... the last one broke the 'tree saver' (18,000# rated) strap and the tailgate slowed the chain up a bit. Neither of my cubs have a tailgate..... and I will think twice about pulling stumps again. Have been using a bucket on a big blue tractor for stumps. The hitch never did come loose!

I would advise you to be very careful pulling stumps, a chain or a metal hook will kill you.

Just my little safety message of the day.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 16, 2005 7:40 pm

My uncle Gene had both legs broken by a tow cable that broke on a tow boat. Be very careful a broken line, chain,or cable flies thru the air like a shot

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Mon May 16, 2005 7:59 pm

Ditto on the above! Years ago I was pulling old metal fence posts out of the ground. I had a H back then. All of a sudden the post broke and went flying past my head. Also, check out those old chains that you use for pulling and lifting. Some people say they can tell when a chain has been stretched or abused. I can't. For important jobs I use chains that I bought new and know their history. I don't like to buy auction chains for that reason. I have had them break many times. Excuse me, I'm going to watch the final show of "Everybody Loves Raymond"!
Larry

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Try an old coat

Postby Tim-Devery » Mon May 16, 2005 8:19 pm

I do believe you should put an old coat or something heavy like that on the chain or cable. This will prevent the sucker from flying back at you.
I did this is the old day's when I went 4x4ing with my buddies .Myself, I use a 30,000 lb rated chain. The cub hitch would come off first!
56 LoBoy, 42" woods mower
JD-855 (to pull out the cub when stuck)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 16, 2005 10:36 pm

It takes a lot to move a stump. I use the biggest I have available.

The whole story on this move is here, but the pictures take some download time.

http://home1.gte.net/res0gehp/crepe-myrtle/Crepe-Myrtle-2003.htm

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Tue May 17, 2005 5:54 am

Jim.

Wow, that pic is quite an endorsement for the Cub....looks like the green and yeller tractor is just sitting there watching in sheer amazement :shock: :shock:
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Tue May 17, 2005 6:57 am

Not really a big fan of "pulling trees down". I'd much rather push a tree down. Safety first....

NJ Farmer

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 17, 2005 7:11 am

Leverage is the key. It's far easier to tip a tree over by hooking high than it is to brute-force tug a tree out at the base. We used to I'll bet that's his secret.

It seems to me like it would be safer too. Chain breaks, it shoots at the ground, not at your head.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Tue May 17, 2005 9:44 am

Denton and all,

I would be happy to post a pic of the stumps I'm removing but I think that Jim's photo says it all. Mine were nothing like that!!! I have few more things to pull and I'll try and remember to have the wife snap a few shots.

While we're on the subject and for those who are having problems, it took me a while to get the feel for how its done. My first attempt was to baby it. Chains taught, then give it gas. The reality though is that you have to yank in short bursts to avoid the wheels from spinning. Give the chains slack, throw 'er in first and give it a go. I know if feels like the whole casting is going to break off from the finals but this is what worked for me. Some of my shrubs came out in 1 or 2 pulls. And... it's great stress relief to boot.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue May 17, 2005 12:18 pm

ScottyG wrote: The reality though is that you have to yank in short bursts to avoid the wheels from spinning. Give the chains slack, throw 'er in first and give it a go. I know if feels like the whole casting is going to break off from the finals but this is what worked for me. Some of my shrubs came out in 1 or 2 pulls. And... it's great stress relief to boot.

You probably run with scissors too. When you poke your eye out, don't come crying to me!! :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”