Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:16 am

I was going to use to my Cub to pull out some brush and small trees.....but when I was trying to back up into the space behind my shop....I started wondering why I was not going where I was trying to steer too...then I looked up front.....Not Good!

Steering knuckle broke.
PidgeonToedCaptain.JPG


A very poor repair by the PO!!
Steering knuckle.JPG


Oh well ...actually I knew it was coming....I have a complete front end that I am going to swap out with this one that I had bought from a member of this forum (Brazos) a while back. Just waiting to complete my Powder coat oven so that I can get it fixed up right.

Going to have to hurry my PC oven along a bit.....I hate seeing the captain this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 am

Wow, sure looks like that was holding on by just a little bit of steel. Made her a little pigeon toed. Good luck with your repairs. I'd be interested in hearing about your powder coating oven.

Ken

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 am

Any idea how long it had been partially broken prior to finally breaking off? I see you run trailer type tires on the front as I do. How many lbs pressure do you use?

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 am

I had known about the poor repair for a while ....but I don't use the cub much and if I do it is just around the yard. I like the trailer type tires because they are easier on my lawn. I run about 25 PSI if I remember correctly.

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:07 am

At least that knuckle is not welded on like the other side is. I would just change the knuckle, unless your replacement front end uses the clamp type, then do the big change when you have the oven ready to powder coat it.

thiggy wrote:Any idea how long it had been partially broken prior to finally breaking off? I see you run trailer type tires on the front as I do. How many lbs pressure do you use?
I am not CPIII, but by the looks of the picture, it has been that way for a good while by the color of the metal. I also run boat trailer tires on my mowing tractor, and run 20 psi in them, same as regular fronts.

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 am

John,
My replacement front end uses the clamp and key type .....I have been putting this off for a while now....the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality I guess. I plan on pulling the replacement front end into the shop tonight and start going through the hubs and checking the bearings and seals.....might as well do everything at this point. The oven will take another month or so due to funds and such. Hopefully I will be ready to go for the 4th of July parade.....but I can PC most of the parts in my small ovens so I may just have to make due in order to be ready by the 4th......either way.

Thanks for the reply!

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Well tried to get the two front drop tubes out of the main front end tube.....not even close to getting them to move. I decided to go with what John reccomended and just replaced the knuckle itself for now. So good news is the Captain is up at fully functional again. Now just have to get back to the rest of my list and replace the left rear final.

Thanks for the suggestions as always....

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 pm

I don't want to seem like a know it all, because I am not. I was just wondering about the crank hanging in the bolster, is it possible for it to be engaged in the crank pulley if you go through high weeds or brush? Just a thought!!
Paul

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 am

This is simply a ride around tractor for the most part.....the highest grass or weeds or anything that it goes trough is about up to my ankle. On a tractor that goes through areas like you describe yes it should be tucked in it's stowage place.

Thanks for the concern though.

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:12 am

i have a similar issue in the same spot . the '48 had a serious groove worn in it on one side . is it caused by the rod not being "adjusted" correctly ? amazing that yours was working with so little that was solid . coppersmythe.............................

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 am

The only reason it did last as long as it did was that I really don't use it to work at this point.....just a ride every now and then around the yard. Every once in a while I use it to pull out roots ....that is about the most real "Work" it has seen. When I get the mower done though.....that will change.

Just saw the question hidden in your post.....and yes I would think that is the coupler isn't adjusted so that it is only riding on each side of the ball that it may very well wear a groove just below the head of the ball.

Thanks for all the comments and posts.