This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)
Circle of Safety: Y

Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Postby CPIII » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:16 am

I was going to use to my Cub to pull out some brush and small trees.....but when I was trying to back up into the space behind my shop....I started wondering why I was not going where I was trying to steer too...then I looked up front.....Not Good!

Steering knuckle broke.
PidgeonToedCaptain.JPG
PidgeonToedCaptain.JPG (332.38 KiB) Viewed 365 times

A very poor repair by the PO!!
Steering knuckle.JPG
Steering knuckle.JPG (109.48 KiB) Viewed 365 times

Oh well ...actually I knew it was coming....I have a complete front end that I am going to swap out with this one that I had bought from a member of this forum (Brazos) a while back. Just waiting to complete my Powder coat oven so that I can get it fixed up right.

Going to have to hurry my PC oven along a bit.....I hate seeing the captain this way.
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Re: Tried to put the Captain to Work...but more work for me!

Postby PVF1799 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 am

Wow, sure looks like that was holding on by just a little bit of steel. Made her a little pigeon toed. Good luck with your repairs. I'd be interested in hearing about your powder coating oven.

Ken

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 am

Any idea how long it had been partially broken prior to finally breaking off? I see you run trailer type tires on the front as I do. How many lbs pressure do you use?
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 am

I had known about the poor repair for a while ....but I don't use the cub much and if I do it is just around the yard. I like the trailer type tires because they are easier on my lawn. I run about 25 PSI if I remember correctly.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:07 am

At least that knuckle is not welded on like the other side is. I would just change the knuckle, unless your replacement front end uses the clamp type, then do the big change when you have the oven ready to powder coat it.

thiggy wrote:Any idea how long it had been partially broken prior to finally breaking off? I see you run trailer type tires on the front as I do. How many lbs pressure do you use?
I am not CPIII, but by the looks of the picture, it has been that way for a good while by the color of the metal. I also run boat trailer tires on my mowing tractor, and run 20 psi in them, same as regular fronts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:25 am

John,
My replacement front end uses the clamp and key type .....I have been putting this off for a while now....the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality I guess. I plan on pulling the replacement front end into the shop tonight and start going through the hubs and checking the bearings and seals.....might as well do everything at this point. The oven will take another month or so due to funds and such. Hopefully I will be ready to go for the 4th of July parade.....but I can PC most of the parts in my small ovens so I may just have to make due in order to be ready by the 4th......either way.

Thanks for the reply!
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Well tried to get the two front drop tubes out of the main front end tube.....not even close to getting them to move. I decided to go with what John reccomended and just replaced the knuckle itself for now. So good news is the Captain is up at fully functional again. Now just have to get back to the rest of my list and replace the left rear final.

Thanks for the suggestions as always....
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

pm_wells
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 28635

Postby pm_wells » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 pm

I don't want to seem like a know it all, because I am not. I was just wondering about the crank hanging in the bolster, is it possible for it to be engaged in the crank pulley if you go through high weeds or brush? Just a thought!!
Paul

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 am

This is simply a ride around tractor for the most part.....the highest grass or weeds or anything that it goes trough is about up to my ankle. On a tractor that goes through areas like you describe yes it should be tucked in it's stowage place.

Thanks for the concern though.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:12 am

i have a similar issue in the same spot . the '48 had a serious groove worn in it on one side . is it caused by the rod not being "adjusted" correctly ? amazing that yours was working with so little that was solid . coppersmythe.............................

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 am

The only reason it did last as long as it did was that I really don't use it to work at this point.....just a ride every now and then around the yard. Every once in a while I use it to pull out roots ....that is about the most real "Work" it has seen. When I get the mower done though.....that will change.

Just saw the question hidden in your post.....and yes I would think that is the coupler isn't adjusted so that it is only riding on each side of the ball that it may very well wear a groove just below the head of the ball.

Thanks for all the comments and posts.
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Return to “Farmall Cub”