This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stupid Question of the Day

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Stupid Question of the Day

Postby WKPoor » Tue May 17, 2005 9:12 pm

I got a stupid question. When the placard says "DO NOT OVERLOAD" How does one know when he or she is overloading. Its not like there is an overload gauge or anything like that. The only way I would know you could tell would be if I had a manifold pressure gauge to tell me. Other machines I've operated that loading is needed to know have a manifold gauge. Seems silly to warn the operator without giving the operator a means to know. So there is my stupid question of the day! :wink:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 17, 2005 9:16 pm

The only stupid question is the one you did not ask.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue May 17, 2005 9:43 pm

The obvious answer is: if the tractor can't pull it without excessive wheel spin, it's an overload. It works for simple machines like Cubs. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Stupid Question of the Day

Postby Dale51 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:32 am

WK Poor wrote:I got a stupid question. When the placard says "DO NOT OVERLOAD" How does one know when he or she is overloading. Its not like there is an overload gauge or anything like that. The only way I would know you could tell would be if I had a manifold pressure gauge to tell me. Other machines I've operated that loading is needed to know have a manifold gauge. Seems silly to warn the operator without giving the operator a means to know. So there is my stupid question of the day! :wink:

General rule if weighs more than the machine your using it is overload.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed May 18, 2005 7:53 am

The Cub is a "mighty" little tractor that can pull its weight and MORE :wink: ! As an example, my '48 Cub will pull my 2 axel 6' X 12' trailer (loaded with 3 buckets (6 yards) of mulch) 8) !!! Steep grade uses 2nd gear...level to 30% grade uses 3rd gear. HOWEVER...the REAL issue becomes the BREAKING POWER of all this weight BEHIND the Cub :oops: . I take it SLOW because I know the brakes are really too small to have to stop the trailer load :cry: !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed May 18, 2005 8:49 am

Country ...you are right...and this is something no one has talked about much. The Cubs brakes are not good on hills or for making a fast controlled stop. I rarely use the brakes, but when I do I am reminded that they ain't really too great. I go slow anyway, but the Cub braking system is another reason to watch your speed.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed May 18, 2005 11:49 am

Nobody has yet hit on what I was thinking. Sure the obvious stuff like if it can't move it or stop it then its too heavy. Bit what about pure engine load. Like PTO or just plain pullin down without wheel spin. Has anyone ever damaged an engine by overlugging it? Thats what I mean and what I thought the placard is trying to warn against.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed May 18, 2005 1:49 pm

WKPoor wrote:Nobody has yet hit on what I was thinking. Sure the obvious stuff like if it can't move it or stop it then its too heavy. Bit what about pure engine load. Like PTO or just plain pullin down without wheel spin. Has anyone ever damaged an engine by overlugging it? Thats what I mean and what I thought the placard is trying to warn against.

You would probably kill the engine (I.E. stop it) before you damaged anything by overloading. Or it would overheat to warn you that you need to slack off. Now if you load the tires with fluid, put on three sets of rear wheel weights or otherwise cut wheel slippage to 0%, and then try to pull a three bottom plow, you might damage drive train parts. But still I think you would kill the engine before things got that bad.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”