Rattle Spray paint with a two part catalyst inside

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 am

I am doing a repaint project on my cub gas tank/hood. I only have the capability of using rattle cans and I am now looking for a clearcoat to spray over the base coat. Because it will be exposed to some spilling gas occasionally I need to find a spray paint that contains a catalyst. I know there is at least one maker of spray cans that have a plunger to break open a catalyst inside but I am unable to track this maker down. Does anyone here know who this maker is or where I can get this type of spray paint.

Re: Rattle Spray paint with a two part catalyst inside

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 am

either online autobody supply store or your local auto body store.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks to Al gores Internet I was able to track down what I needed. Spraymax 2K. If you are limited to painting in clearcoating with a spray canned this is definitely the stuff to use. Gasoline resistant and contains a hardener. Now to figure out what I am going to do with the enamel clearcoat I've put on top of my paint. Not to be compatible but it's worth a shot rather than stripping the hood down again.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Be careful with that 2K rattle can. The same respiratory precautions apply as with using a hardener with a spray gun and compressor.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Is Spraymax 2K available in the earlier shade of IH Red or just clear cote?

I'm asking because I'm passing time in a doctors office. :(

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 pm

as long as there is a formula for it it should be able to be mixed in a single stage paint, and it wouldn't need to be clear coated.