This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle responce

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
superc_1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72823
Tractors Owned: 3- A's
1 Super C
1- 1951 cub
1- 1957 lo-boy

Throttle responce

Postby superc_1 » Wed May 18, 2005 8:27 am

Here a question thats been I'm sure asked a few times, but here goes. My 51' has no throttle responce when I push it forward? When I first start it I can get it to rev up with the choke, but when it warms up it just bearly will go. I have a lot blowby, and I will address that this winter, but I just want it to go enough to get by this summer. p.s. I'm using some one elses carb and I don't have the governor rod connected to the carb and I don't know if this will mess with it running right? Please help!!!
No matter where you go, there you are.
"Jefthro Burns"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed May 18, 2005 8:52 am

The throttle tells the governor how fast to make the engine go. The rod to the carb from the gov causes the engine to get more gas. Unless you are double jointed and can control the carb by hand you need the rod hooked up. The governor also hepls prevent the engine from over speeding and blowing up. Blow by is a little bad. blowing up is very bad.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

superc_1
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Super C
1- 1951 cub
1- 1957 lo-boy

Postby superc_1 » Wed May 18, 2005 9:08 am

Thanks beaconlight. I'm thinking maybe I have my linkage backward or should I say the PO may have had it backwards. I have a IH carb. Does the choke rod go on the top butterfly valve or the one thats close to air inlet tube or what I would call the bottom one? which would make a lot of since cause it looked like putting the governor rod on the bottom one would keep it in a bind.

"Jefthro Burns"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed May 18, 2005 9:16 am

The choke fastens to the one with a tab on it on the out side of the carb. The throttle on the other one. There is a part that fastens the choke to the carb. If you don't have one you can choke by hand while standing next to the cub. Set the throttle at 1/2 speed or so. Make sure you are out of gear by giving the shift a hand shake. Only do this on level ground or with the wheels chocked.
Safety is job 1. You not safe you may not get to do any other jobs.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 23, 2005 11:49 am

Been a couple of days. How did you make out?

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

superc_1
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Super C
1- 1951 cub
1- 1957 lo-boy

Postby superc_1 » Mon May 23, 2005 1:29 pm

BEACONLIGHT THANKS FOR ASKING. I GOT IT RUNNING AND USED THE SICKLE MOWER OUT IN THE PASTURE FOR A HOUR OR TWO. IT WAS SPITTIN AND SPUTTING PRETTY GOOD AND THEN FINALY LIMBERED UP, I THOUGHT I WAS IN GOOD SHAPE. I STARTED IT UP SUNDAY AND IT WENT BACK TO ITS OLD WAYS. I THINK ITS THE GOVERNOR BUT IT MIGHT BE THE CARB FROM WHAT I BEEN READIN. I NOW KNOW I NEED A NEW RADIATOR AND I ORDERED THAT TODAY. ONE GOOD THING SO FAR IS THE TC IS IN GREAT SHAPE, IT DOESN'T LEAK WHICH IS A PLUS. THIS IS MY FOURTH FARMALL TO REBUILD ( ONE "A", TWO SUPER "C"'S) AND NOW THE CUB I ALWAYS WANTED A CUB, AND NOW I GOT ONE. I HOPE I CAN GET IT RUNNIN GOOD ENOUGH TO USE THIS SUMMER AND THEN REBUILD THIS WINTER. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO CUBARAMA THIS FALL AND SEE ALL THE NICE CUB'S I ONLY LIVE A FEW HOURS AWAY IN ARKANSAS. IF ANYBOBY HAS ANY IDEAS ON MY PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

"Jefthro Burns"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Dirt and or varnish in the carb.
1 remove the brass fitting on the side of the carb.
2 run the gas that comes out through a coffee filter to clean it.
3 take 1 gallon and keep putting it through till it comes out clean
4 Remove the sediment bowl and clean it and the screen
5 remove the carb and clean the screen at ti inlet if there is still 1 there
6 take the carb apart and clean the bowl
7 Reassemble being careful not to over tighten things and warp the soft whitemetal top
8 Clean the jet removed in step 1 and reassemble. I use both compressed air and poke it out with a piece of telephone inside wire and air again.
This will generally do it. There are more detailed versions of this but the address seldom encountered problems that from your description apply in your case.
If there is much rust inside yopur gas tank you may consider having it lined. You can find thos instructions on the home page and some of the links it leads to.
These instructions will cover most any gasoline engine and carb left a while with gas in it. Some times the varnish formed is so pervasive as to need soaking in carb cleaner .

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon May 23, 2005 2:02 pm

2 pennorth,
how does the choke butterfy stand when you take of the air hose from the air cleaner to carb and look inside the air passage of the carb?
On mine which has a Solex but never mind, the choke butterfly is horizontal, that is to say giving the least resistance or throttling effort in the tube, if it is perhaos at 20 degrees, although open but not completely open (horizontal) it will still have an adverse effect on the performance,
As I say just an idea???
I feel for you prob, diagnosis is often difficult but you will find it and have the best running cub in Atkins!
Pat

superc_1
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Super C
1- 1951 cub
1- 1957 lo-boy

Postby superc_1 » Mon May 23, 2005 4:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm using Galla Creek Arky's (boy he's got some really nice cub's) carb til my carb parts come in. I have cleaned my carb and straighten the body to Lurker Carl's spec's. I know my gas tank is rusty but I have another one coming and going to fix that one once I get it. Next question is about the radiator. What would be the best thing to do to get the bolts ready around the radiator to take off. I bet those are pretty rusty and would hate to break one of those off.

"Jefthro Burns"

Return to “Farmall Cub”