This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another one finds the barnyard

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Another one finds the barnyard

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 pm

twotone wrote:Runs pretty good for a "locked up motor special"!

I wouldn't call it a special just yet until I know more about it, but so far it looks good. I had heard that starters could cause them to appear locked. After thinking about the guy saying he had starter trouble I figured I'd start there. The seller's son turned the hand crank so hard that he put a slight twist in it.

Bezirk wrote:Put transmission in neutral engage pto and turn it by hand and you can determine whether engine is stuck.
Berlin

Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind.

I put the hood on, sort of, to take it for a spin. It definitely has a miss and needs a tune up. I didn't have new plugs so I will pick some up when I go into town tomorrow. I'll also do a compression test while the plugs are out. It doesn't want to turn that 59" mower hardly at all. The mower could use a little attention also. I don't really think it has been used for a couple years or so.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

Postby baldwindiesel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Barnyard:
That is really cool ! My 1959 is still misbehaving ! I will make a seperate post for my replacing the points question.

Baldwindiesel

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:04 pm

I didn't see any smoke. I bet a tune up and a valve adjustment will bring the power back. :D

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Harold R wrote:I didn't see any smoke. I bet a tune up and a valve adjustment will bring the power back. :D

The more I ran it the less it smoked. Rosanne even mentioned that when she shot the video. It reminds me an awful lot like Susie Q when I first brought her home. I am curious how this one will pan out. Maybe the next Cub Tug champ! :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 am

In the 1st video, it sounded like it might have a stuck valve, the compression test will determine that. Most of the time, a good hard run will do wonders for one that's sat for a while. Looks like you did o.k.

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 am

I too believe that one is going to be a good one. Nice find Bill.

Thanks for bringing us along.

Keep us posted.

Tim
"I ain't believing this!"

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 am

Bill, Do you hire out as a price negotiator? :D The reason I've been watching cub ads is that my uncle called recently and asked if I knew what a cub was worth. I had to admit not really. The people on the forum know more about what they are selling but the ads are few and the actual sale price is not known. Craigslist has a number of ads but as you have shown the sale price may be different. Ebay you can get the selling price but the buyer may have allowed for travelling for pickup. These are also not generally the low end cubs and what unc is looking at I have a feeling is one of those "running when parked". I'm sure he could get it running if need be. Thanks for one of the pieces to the puzzle. Vern

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 am

Nice find Bill! I think the guys are right about a possible stuck valve and resetting the valves should get you some decent power. I mow with that same 59" deck and my 48 does real well, she struggles a bit in high grass going up a hill. Under a load like running the mower yours may smoke a bit considering it sat for a couple years.

Edit - For that matter by buddy's B7100 Kubota struggles too, also with a 5' deck, and it's a 17 hp diesel.
Last edited by Smokeycub on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldiron1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Looks good; it seems straight and I like it's "patina".

If your "cub count" is up to date and my math is right, your next Cub will be a be a milestone; maybe even a record! :wink:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 pm

oldiron1 wrote:Looks good; it seems straight and I like it's "patina".

If your "cub count" is up to date and my math is right, your next Cub will be a be a milestone; maybe even a record! :wink:

Rob, I'm not sure how many are there. I need to update my profile. Maybe you and I need to get a head count at the Bash. :lol:

Circle of Safety

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 am

I know why he bought the house accross the street. Covert cub storage site.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:07 am

Ever noticed how people selling things always say they only need a quick something to make them run but for some reason they didn't want to do that quick something and sell a working product? They'd rather knock off a tiny bit off good working value. The only reason for the seller not trying to start that cub before selling it is he didn't want to risk finding something was wrong with it severely reducing it's value. I'm not saying he was a bad seller at all--just something to keep in mind when buying things. He sounds like he did you right. I have to remind myself when buying something to resell that if it works well and I don't suspect any problems I shouldn't pull into it to confirm it's good. In other words, don't go looking for problems. I'll find them and then my conscious will not allow me to tell a buyer everything seems fine and I'll end up spending too much time and effort fixing it to make any money. From a buyers point of view you pretty much have to assume there are unknown problems and unfortunately sometimes hidden problems.

oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldiron1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:44 am

Barnyard wrote:
oldiron1 wrote:Looks good; it seems straight and I like it's "patina".

Rob, I'm not sure how many are there. I need to update my profile. Maybe you and I need to get a head count at the Bash. :lol:

I'd like that Bill; sounds like a fun "Easter Egg Hunt" to me!
Katie and I are working on our calendar now....I'd like to make it down again for the Bash but can't confirm yet if we'll be able to yet or not.

I saw a guy at a local Gun Show who's shirt said "If you know how many you have off hand, you don't have enough" I think the same principle applies to Cub's as well... :wink:

Return to “Farmall Cub”