This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dumb Questions from a Newbie

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99003
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, serial # 44775.

Dumb Questions from a Newbie

Postby Smarg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello All,

I am a brand new owner (through inheritance) of an early model Farmall Cub. Just retired from the military and my father-in-law went into assisted living/memory care from his small farm, leaving me the tractor. He really can't help me now with his condition. Please forgive my questions that many of you have seen before, I'm sure.

Trying to look up to see what actual year it is ('47 or '48, can't remember what he told me tears ago, but he said it was one of the earliest models). There is a serial number name plate on the right side (as you're sitting on it) of the steering gear housing. It says "FCUB" and then gives the serial number "44775". Can this number tell me the model year?

Internet sleuthing for parts brought me to Steiner Tractor company. Is this a reliable place that has all the parts I will need to retore it?

Through experience, how much approximately does it cost to restore a barely running tractor (excluding labor)?

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll be scouring this site in the future.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dumb Questions from a Newbie

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:27 pm

The serial number you posted would make it a 1948.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Pics of your cub would help figuring out what has to be done. Very hard to say how much. Alot will depend on engine condition. Engine may just need a tuneup or anywhere up to a complete overhaul. There are several places to get parts. The first place to check would be right here on the forum.
Thomas

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Smarg, Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowlegeable Cub lovers here. If you click on "manuals" in the toolbar, you can find all the manuals you'll need. Before you order any parts, figure out what you need and we can offer suggestions on where to get the best quality and prices. Some of Steiner's stuff is fine, some is not. It's hard to say what your costs will be until you evaluate the tractor more. If it just needs fresh gas and a tuneup,fairly inexpensive. If you need an engine overhaul, then you're looking at possibly $1-2000.00. If you can give us more info about the tractor, we can give you trouble shooting suggestions. Start will clean gas and good flow out the drain of the carburetor. Check for a good blue spark at the plugs. If it runs now, that's a good start.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Your tractor would have rolled of the line in late Aug '48.

As the others have said a lot depends on the current condition. Photos would be great.
Also, before you jump in head first, spend a bit of time reading through this forum and the "How-To" section, as well as the links at the top of the page. Loads and loads of information can be found here, and may save you costly mistakes and/or aggravation in the future!
Let us know if there is anything else we can help out with.

kxt710
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34601
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Walli)
1957 lowboy with backhoe

Postby kxt710 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Smarg congratulations and welcome. First there are no dumb question just dumb answers. If you do not have a manual get one and spend some time reading it and as far as sources for parts we have some great sponsers on the home screen. Last the cost will depend on what you want to do - some will pay to have the engine rebuilt for 1000 or more while others are happy with new plugs and an oil change for 20.00. You will need to evaluate and decide what you want to put into it. Good luck.

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi - when I started the piece by piece restoration of RauCub-1 - this is one of the first links sent to me.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm

Please help yourself to A LOT of reading on this site before you loosen a single bolt. It will help you in the long run - trust me. I would also recommend buying a fair bit of paper and a FAT 3-ring binder to print out a lot of the material found at this link - http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Service%20Manuals/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals&order=0

Read, the books and read this forum often.

Ken

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Smarg, Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowlegeable Cub lovers here. If you click on "manuals" in the toolbar, you can find all the manuals you'll need. Before you order any parts, figure out what you need and we can offer suggestions on where to get the best quality and prices. Some of Steiner's stuff is fine, some is not. It's hard to say what your costs will be until you evaluate the tractor more. If it just needs fresh gas and a tuneup,fairly inexpensive. If you need an engine overhaul, then you're looking at possibly $1-2000.00. If you can give us more info about the tractor, we can give you trouble shooting suggestions. Start will clean gas and good flow out the drain of the carburetor. Check for a good blue spark at the plugs. If it runs now, that's a good start.

Bob

So many good replies! Looks like I will be printing a lot of stuff soon.

I will empty the gas tank and refill with new stuff. When you mean good flow out of the drain...should I take out the plug in the bottom of the carb and make sure that gas is flowing out, is that a good way to tell on the flow? And blue spark...these plugs look very old and rusted. Could they still be good? Like a lawnmower, take one out with it still on the wire, and crank while touching it to the body and a blue spark? It will only chug a few times and not start at the moment.

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:56 pm

PVF1799 wrote:Hi - when I started the piece by piece restoration of RauCub-1 - this is one of the first links sent to me.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm

Please help yourself to A LOT of reading on this site before you loosen a single bolt. It will help you in the long run - trust me. I would also recommend buying a fair bit of paper and a FAT 3-ring binder to print out a lot of the material found at this link - http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php?dirpath=./files/Service%20Manuals/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals&order=0

Read, the books and read this forum often.

Ken

I will take your advice. Looks like we both own a 1948 Cub! Thank you.

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:04 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:Your tractor would have rolled of the line in late Aug '48.

As the others have said a lot depends on the current condition. Photos would be great.
Also, before you jump in head first, spend a bit of time reading through this forum and the "How-To" section, as well as the links at the top of the page. Loads and loads of information can be found here, and may save you costly mistakes and/or aggravation in the future!
Let us know if there is anything else we can help out with.

Wow, you can even tell what part of the month! When I learn how to take digital pictures and transfer them to the internet, I will do so. Right now the tractor is very ratty looking, everything is original, no restorations at all. It ran last year when I loaded it on the trailer and took it to my shop. Now it will chug a few times when I try and start it but that's it. I'm going to check the flow of the gas (by taking out the carb plug and seeing of gas flows freely) and then seeing if the spark plugs give out blue spark as suggested here. I just wanna get that dadgum thing STARTED!!!

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:05 pm

tmays wrote:Pics of your cub would help figuring out what has to be done. Very hard to say how much. Alot will depend on engine condition. Engine may just need a tuneup or anywhere up to a complete overhaul. There are several places to get parts. The first place to check would be right here on the forum.

Thank you Thomas.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Steiner has the best carburetor kit available now, I have had good service from them
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Smarg wrote:...should I take out the plug in the bottom of the carb and make sure that gas is flowing out, is that a good way to tell on the flow

Yes, that is a real good way to tell.

Smarg wrote:these plugs look very old and rusted. Could they still be good?
Smarg wrote:...these plugs look very old and rusted. Could they still be good?

Don't even chance it, at about $10.00 a set you are way better off replacing what you have at this stage of the game. A complete tune up is probably in order while your at it.

Welcome to the forum. You will find, or you have already found, there are a lot of folks here who have this hobby. We have all learned from each other.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:40 am

Welcome to the forum....And thank you for your service....As you are finding out, this is a great place to gain knowledge and friendships....Have fun with your project.....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 am

Be sure to prime the oil pump before running, then after it runs change the oil unless there is a tear down in the near future. Compression check is good idea also.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”