This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dumb Questions from a Newbie

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99003
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, serial # 44775.

Re: Dumb Questions from a Newbie

Postby Smarg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 am

Barnyard wrote:
Smarg wrote:...should I take out the plug in the bottom of the carb and make sure that gas is flowing out, is that a good way to tell on the flow

Yes, that is a real good way to tell.

Smarg wrote:these plugs look very old and rusted. Could they still be good?
Smarg wrote:...these plugs look very old and rusted. Could they still be good?

Don't even chance it, at about $10.00 a set you are way better off replacing what you have at this stage of the game. A complete tune up is probably in order while your at it.

Welcome to the forum. You will find, or you have already found, there are a lot of folks here who have this hobby. We have all learned from each other.

Excellent advice. Where can I get the spark plugs...at any auto parts store?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 am

Champion D-21's available at any parts store, Wally World or store that has an auto dept.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 am

danovercash wrote:Be sure to prime the oil pump before running, then after it runs change the oil unless there is a tear down in the near future. Compression check is good idea also.

Dan, can you give me a quick lesson on the oil pump...how do you prime it? And, how many quarts does it take...SAE or detergent oil? I'm thinking a SAE 30, like lawnmower oil? Thanks

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:45 am

Rudi wrote:Champion D-21's available at any parts store, Wally World or store that has an auto dept.

Wow Rudi that was quick! This site is GREAT. Thank you! :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:50 am

As I mentioned previously, spend a little time reading the McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 5-1-49

I use standard SAE-30W oil for most of what I do with my Cubs. Other's will chime in with their preference and that can vary from one brand and weight to another. There have been many threads on that subject and as many opinions as we have members. Use whatever you choose for your outdoor equipment.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 am

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... e%2005.jpg
Add oil in the hole at the top of the "oil inlet"

Smarg wrote:
danovercash wrote:Be sure to prime the oil pump before running, then after it runs change the oil unless there is a tear down in the near future. Compression check is good idea also.

Dan, can you give me a quick lesson on the oil pump...how do you prime it? And, how many quarts does it take...SAE or detergent oil? I'm thinking a SAE 30, like lawnmower oil? Thanks

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am

Quick draw there Rudi! :D

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:39 am

Most excellent folks!! I am writing all this stuff down furiously. Hee!! :D

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Just fill up the hole inside the oil filter that goes back into the block. If engine is dirty inside use non detergent oil till you can clean out the pan, then any good auto or truck oil of your choice. My preference is Rotella, any good oil will work.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:47 pm

After you have primed the pump, run the starter a bit with the key off to make sure oil is coming back out that hole. If it doesn't, then the pump is not fully primed.

When my pump lost prime, I actually had to fill the hole abut three times, using the fan to turn the engine about a third of a revolution between fills before she started squirting back out.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Oops, forgot about 3 quarts.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 pm

All right, here's what I've done so far and the results:

Drained the gas tank, the reservoir trap underneath and changed the fuel filter (a generic in-line type). The old gas was hideous. The reservoir had bugs and black gooey stuff in it. Blew out the metal and rubber fuel lines to the carb.

Then, got D-21 spark plugs at O'Reillys and went to replace them. Got 3 out and replaced them, couldn't get the last one (the cylinder nearest the radiator) out...it seemed frozen. I wasn't strong enough to break the threads loose. The 3 plugs I took out were hideous like the gas...they looked like they were at least 20 years old, black and burnt. I gave up on the 4th plug, left it in for now.

Made sure the oil pump was primed as instructed. The oil was really dark and old looking...gotta change it when I find out how. Hoping to get more than one or two weak "chugs" than before I got dirty, I grabbed the starter pull, choke out, and prayed.

It actually runs now for only about 3-4 seconds then stops. Won't re-start immediately. Only after about 5 minutes, it will try to run again, but the same--3 to 4 seconds then stops. It's teasing me, the bastard....gets my hopes up then breaks my heart.

Sooo...what does this mean? Obviously I have spark, because it runs for a few seconds. To a non-mechanic, it seems to be fuel. But is it indicative of flooding--too much fuel, then re-starts for a few seconds when it dries out? Or, is it starving itself out of fuel because of the carb? Yes, made sure I turned the little petcock back on underneath the tank.

Should I take the carb off, take it apart, soak it, and get a carb kit from Steiners? I'm dreading that...little pieces that you have to remember how to put back in the same place or it will never work again, and you have to suffer through the mechanic who you take it to that says "whoever put this on did it wrong"... :big smirk:

Then, how do I get that old nasty plug out that seems frozen? I reeeeaaaaaly don't want to take off the metal cowling/hood/whatever you call it, because of all the things you have to disconnect, and remember how to put back, just to get differnt leverage on the plug.

And Rudi, I want to print the manual out, but right now we're living in our RV on our property while we're building our retirement home...don't have room for a printer. The Cub is in my finished shop. Hell, it's got more room than we do.

Probably could have said this in a lot fewer words but I type the way I speak. Thanks guys. :help:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Smarg wrote:It actually runs now for only about 3-4 seconds then stops. Won't re-start immediately. Only after about 5 minutes, it will try to run again...what does this mean? Obviously I have spark, because it runs for a few seconds. To a non-mechanic, it seems to be fuel.

It sounds like fuel starvation. Did you take the plug out of the bottom of the carb to see how the fuel flows. If you are not getting a good steady stream you have blockage somewhere.

Also remove the metering jet on the side of the carb and make sure it isn't clogged with any of the crud you found in the sediment bowl.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Smarg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Smarg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Smarg wrote:It actually runs now for only about 3-4 seconds then stops. Won't re-start immediately. Only after about 5 minutes, it will try to run again...what does this mean? Obviously I have spark, because it runs for a few seconds. To a non-mechanic, it seems to be fuel.

It sounds like fuel starvation. Did you take the plug out of the bottom of the carb to see how the fuel flows. If you are not getting a good steady stream you have blockage somewhere.

Also remove the metering jet on the side of the carb and make sure it isn't clogged with any of the crud you found in the sediment bowl.

Thanks barnyard. I will do the carb bottom plug check tomorrow. The metering jet...is that the adjustment screw with the spring, or the other metal plug on the side of the carb?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 pm

The metering jet is the hex head found on the side near the bottom. Take it out and run a thin copper (soft) wire through it and shoot some carb cleaner through it.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”