New member - First cub

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Greetings,
I have been lurking here for a few months while helping a friend with his cub.
I used to use a cub to mow baseball fields when I was a teenager and have always wanted one but for some reason, I really caught the bug a couple of weeks ago at the Alapahoochee farm show a couple of weeks ago in GA.
Turns out there was one almost right under my nose near my friends workshop - a basket case in the elements with water standing in the cylinders (ugh). I asked the owner of the shop about it. He said it was a 1953 and that the PO had invested $$$$ in new parts but had lost interest. I had located another cub engine in GA if needed and made a offer.
To my delight he accepted the offer and we met today to seal the deal and bring it home.
When I got to the shop with my trailer, I had several pleasant surprises. The shop owner had taken it inside and cleaned the water from the cylinders and drained the crankcase. He told me he found a heavy coating of grease in each cylinder and there was no rust on the walls. There was also no water in the crankcase but the engine would not turn with reasonable force using the crank. He sprayed the cylinders with PB blaster.
The second surprise was the year - s/n is 105430 and there is white paint showing on the edges where sheet metal and components have been separated (under multiple layers of IH red). Per the chart this is a 1950 and in the demonstrator range. Maybe rookie luck eh!
We went to the PO's house to pick up a white IH rotary belly mower, wheel weights and a set of cultivators.
After loading the tractor and many boxes of new parts and the absolutely straight and dent free hood/gas tank we brought it to my workshop. To my amazement, the engine could be turned over with the crank after the short soak time. I took a bunch of pics but need to downsize them before posting.
Thanks so much for this great resource.
Ron Tyrie

Re: New member - First cub

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Great find, Ron.

Small world. I was at Alapahoochee with my buddy Billy Ray (brichter), and David Hamrick (dirtyred).

Welcome to the best forum on the Web. Lots of good folks and great information on here.

See my signature line below. If you can make it, plan to attend DSCF next year. We are located in Sneads, Fl. Would love to have you.

Roy

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Ron, Congrats and Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy the knowledge and friendships that is so openly given.

I agree - this is the best forum on the internet.

Ken

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like you are off to a great start, congratulations on the Demo find. :big afro:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum Ron. I am just south of Tallahassee, come on up to Roy's next year you won't be sorry.
Sounds like you made out pretty well on your first Cub with extras.
Make sure you prime the oil pump before you attempt to start the engine.
Bill

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. After seeing Roy's pic, I remember talking to him at Alapahooche. I was parked at the pulling field end running 4 hit n miss engines. I have been taking careful note of the advice given here. It is easy to see the voices of experience and I intend to use it to full advantage. I spoke with the PO tonight and he related the reason for tear down was blue exhaust smoke. I will measure the size and taper and base subsequent actions on the existing condition.

I have one quick question - RR axle inside castleated nut is showing while the LR one is covered by a cap. They have different part numbers. Is this nut supposed to be exposed?

Thanks
Ron

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum! Great find on " Ole Whitey " id like to find one myself!
This is The Best Tractor Forum on the internet! :big afro:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 pm

RonT wrote:I have one quick question - RR axle inside castleated nut is showing while the LR one is covered by a cap. They have different part numbers. Is this nut supposed to be exposed?

Thanks
Ron

I am pretty sure the answer is yes,as both my Cubs are exposed like yours. I believe I asked about this when I first joined the forum.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm

RonT wrote:... Is this nut supposed to be exposed? ...

Ron,

Welcome. Enjoy the ride. By all means, make it to the Deep South CubFest, you will be glad you did.

To answer your question, Yes. That is where the drive sprocket for sidedresser/planter is mounted.

Bill

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 pm

RonT wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome. After seeing Roy's pic, I remember talking to him at Alapahooche. I was parked at the pulling field end running 4 hit n miss engines.
Ron

Yep, I remember the engines at that location. Can't quite remember your face, tho. You'll have to add an avatar to help us old guys put a name with a face. :lol:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am

Welcome to the forum.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:57 am

This should help...
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-39.jpg

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Welcome Ron
There are some great folks here with a wealth of knowledge. We are eagerly awaiting pictures :-)

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Welcome to the forum!

A white one! They are hard to keep clean :lol: and it will be your decision if you decide to paint it. (Mostly mine are yeller and white.)

Sounds like you have several of my favorite Cubbers nearby, lucky you! They are great folks!

Prime the oil pump before you fire it up, the easy way is in the hole inside the oil filter housing.

Enjoy your Cub!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Ron:

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your very first new to you Cub. I can assure you that if you got a little addicted already, the fever is not far behind and you may soon be a member of the MCC!. And congrats to on managing to find a Cub in your backyard almost and a Demo at that. True Demo's are hard to find/prove, so take lots of pics as you restore this one if that is the route you go. Lots and lots of pics as well as documenting the casting numbers and date codes. This could be a good fun.

Oh yeah, glad to see you have chosen to come in out of the weeds... and you are no longer lurking. Here is the welcome wagon.. lots of resources as you already know.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.