This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Conversion to 12 volts?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Mon May 23, 2005 6:02 pm

thiggy wrote:True, easier starting was my reason for considering conversion to 12 volts. After reading all your comments, I am so terribly ashamed of even considering such a desecretion. Please forgive me!! Actually, I appreciate the remarks and ideas. I'll reappraise my situation and perhaps do a bit more diagnostic work on my little beast. By the way, are my Cubs required to have a given name to participate in this forum? Thanks

Thiggy,

There is NOTHING to be ashamed of, this has been more of a topic on the 8N Ford site than on here, probably a daily event even over there. AND even with an 8N Ford, the same rule applies.

One thing I forgot to mention in my post. BRIGHT, CLEAN AND TIGHT on the terminals and connectors is one of your other line of defense. Then if your engine still seems to be turing over slow, you may want to check into your starter, it may be dragging.

NEVER feel ashamed on asking a question, especailly on this forum. These guys are the best folks you will ever find. ANYWHERE !!!! Anyone of them will bend over backwards to help another Cub owner out.

Funny thing is, I have two Cubs, 26 Chevy, 31 Buick and my Model "A" Ford all on 6 volts. Thankfully I don't have to keep that many batteries up and running at one time, LOL Almost have as many 6 volt as I have 12 volt.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Wed May 25, 2005 7:20 pm

I only own one Cub (so far) and it has the 12v conversion. It always starts within a second and purrs like a kitten now (after a carb rebuild). I know most of the guys on this forum perfer to stick with the original plan but 12 volts on a Cub is pretty darn nice in the middle of winter when you want to get it started RIGHT NOW.

Just my Image.

Mike
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed May 25, 2005 7:49 pm

Don't bother converting to 12 volts unless your 6 volt accessories are missing. Replace the faulty wires and clean the connections throughout the wiring harness and it will be good for another 50 years. You'll need to do that even if you convert to 12 volts because bad wires and corroded connections will only get worse over time. Then you'll have to convert to 24 volts to make up for the existing problems.

My 1948 Cub has no electrical system at all. A well tuned Cub will start at 10 degrees F - sitting outdoors - with 2 pulls of a hand crank.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed May 25, 2005 8:40 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:
My 1948 Cub has no electrical system at all. A well tuned Cub will start at 10 degrees F - sitting outdoors - with 2 pulls of a hand crank.

Carl, How do you get that crank un-frozeded from your hand when its 10°s outside :?: :twisted:
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 25, 2005 8:47 pm

johnbron wrote:
Lurker Carl wrote:

Carl, How do you get that crank un-frozeded from your hand when its 10°s outside :?: :twisted:
yellow rain. LOL
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Wed May 25, 2005 8:48 pm

watch out where the huskies go, and dont you eat that yellow snow :shock:
Aaron.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed May 25, 2005 8:54 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:

yellow rain. LOL

"BRrrrr" That sounds like double torture. Zip`snag "Ouch". LOL
Then came Bronson

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed May 25, 2005 9:04 pm

johnbron wrote:
Lurker Carl wrote:

Keep 'er dry and you'll git 'er dun!

Return to “Farmall Cub”