Cub horn

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 am

I came across a 64 Loboy that had this original 6V horn installed on it the other day. It is a "Delco Remy" brand with "Model 313", "6V", "Type S", and "Made in the USA", stamped into the housing in different locations. I got it cleaned up, installed it on another 6v Cub I had and it actually works great! 8)

I have been collecting Cubs for over 10 years and this is the first one I have actually had, and only the second I have actually seen in person. I was quite surprised when I saw it.

I have found there not to be much documentation at all on these, after finding it in the parts manual, it appears the PO had it installed facing the wrong direction, but a rotation of the flat bracket and bolt solved that so that it is facing down when installed on a different Cub.

Here are some pics:

Re: Cub horn

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm

How cool is that?!! Great (and rare) snag!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:35 pm

there was a reason why it was installed facing down. If it is left out in the rain the wya you have it, it will eventually get enough water inside to rust it and corroded the vibrator points.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Right, that's what I figured. The parts book confirmed it. Those pics show how I got it. I have since remounted it downward on another Cub the proper way when I tested it.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Cool Brian, great find! Thanks for the pics as well! :D

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 pm

cubguy47 wrote:.......Those pics show how I got it. ......
I did not read closely enough, sorry about that.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:46 pm

I have not seen an original Cub horn except in photos. Be sure to use it when overtaking and passing slower vehicles. ( Forgive me!). Once I had a Delco-Remy motor-driven horn on a Cub. Not from a Model A Ford but similar sound. This Delco was a bit smaller than the Sparton on the Model A.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 pm

That's really cool and to find something that is so rare. Keep right, pass on the left only! :)

Ken

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Bus Driver wrote:....... Be sure to use it when overtaking and passing slower vehicles. ( Forgive me!). ...............
I'll add that the courteous driver also switches his lights to the dim position during said maneuver. :D :lol:

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Nice find!

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Brian:

Very nice, very nice indeed. Got some questions... could you post clearer more detailed pics of the horn button side and back views and if there are any part numbers on the button? Same with the mounting bracket. I have a pair of 6v horns and have sourced what I think are reasonable lookalikes to the brackets but the horn button is eluding me.