This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bought My 2nd Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
357cyrus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44880

Bought My 2nd Cub

Postby 357cyrus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:02 pm

So about 5 years ago I got lucky and bought my first home on 30 acres of land, 2 of which needed to be mowed. Still having a hand cramp from signing away a huge chunk of money, I wanted a big mower deck, without a big price tag. A buddy of mine spotted a 51' cub with a 5ft mowing deck on craigslist, and a few days after buying the house I bought that cub as well. With it came:
1. The original manual
2. A snowplow/grader blade laying in a pile of parts (no clue how to hook it up)
3. A single bottom plow also in a big pile of parts & (no clue how to hook it up)
4 A new wiring harness (no clue how to hook it up either)
5. Tire chains.
6. Rear Wheel weights installed
7. A pretty well warn woods mower all hooked up.

For two years all I had done was haul firewood, and cut grass. Changed out the spark plugs and oil, kept greasing the fittings, and filling the radiator. I was pretty satisfied other than I had to unhook the battery every time I got off the thing, or within about and hour it would drain the battery dead. Then I caught a stump with the mower and broke a spindle. Needing grass mowed and not knowing what to do I just bought a newer Husqvarna lawn mower. So the cub sat for the next couple years in the her shed, occasionally getting out to haul firewood. Well, last fall the urge finally hit me to try and figure out how hook up the snow plow, and after looking at a few pics I found on the web, I got it on and working. As spring rolled around, I decided I wanted to hook that single bottom plow up and see about turning over my garden. After figuring out it was a 193 moldboard, I realized I didn't have a rear rockshaft to make it work. So i hit craigslist again, and as luck would have it some guy 15 mins down the road from me had posted the night before that he had a 52' Cub for sale, with the same mower deck, both appeared to be in much better shape than mine...and in the picture I could see a rear rockshaft...all for $1300! So I wasted no time, and that day went down to make sure I got it.
At this point I only have room for one, so my intentions are to figure out which is in better condition, maybe cherry pick a few parts. Then sell the other before the snow hits again. So being not too mechanically experienced, I'm looking for advice on evaluating which one to keep. Anyway, gotta head to work for now. Look forward talking later.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Bought My 2nd Cub

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on obtaining your second Cub!

Unfortunately you will likely find more advice in how to justify keeping or storing TWO Cubs vs. how to evaluate which one to get rid of.... like one for mowing.... one for snow plowing... one for.... :wink:

Best of luck,
David

hoosier
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37075

Postby hoosier » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Two cubs are better than one. Changing implements in most cases is a bear. See if you can't save both. You won't regret it. My second one was pretty bad but both are working now. Mowing cub and soon to be scraper cub. Love them both.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Welcome! I suggest that you slip down to I-71 and make the trip to the Barnyard Bash http://www.barnyardbash.com/. You will meet a bunch of fine people and learn all things Cub. You might even be able to arrange a MicroFest to help you evaluate your Cubs. Once again, welcome.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Welcome to the MCC (multiple Cub club)! Enjoy 'em both!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:02 pm

EASY ANSWER!!! Build another shed and keep them BOTH!! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with all the answers given. You definitely want to head down I-71 for the Barnyard Bash CubFest next month. A lot of Cub knowledge will be shared over a two day period and it's all free. Bring the wife and kids (if any) and have a great time.

By the way, I have never found owning two Cubs to be a problem.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:22 am

Barnyard wrote:By the way, I have never found owning two Cubs to be a problem.

Heck! Barnyard doesn't even remember owning ONLY two Cubs, he has so many!!! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

357cyrus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44880

Postby 357cyrus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:45 am

Well thanks for the replies and the invite. Pretty hard to argue with unanimous! When I told my Dad I planned on selling one he also told me just to build a lean-to on the shed where I keep the other LOL. So my first question, whats the best way to clean out the bolt holes underneath where the hand adjustment lever connects? The threads on mine are pretty much covered in dirt. Imagine a pressure washer would put water where I don't want it, and using a toothbrush sounds like a real pain.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:50 am

357cyrus wrote:...The threads on mine are pretty much covered in dirt. Imagine a pressure washer would put water where I don't want it...

Pressure washer will be fine. Then you can check them out good to make sure the threads are still good.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Image to what the guys already said and congrats on acquiring not only your 1st but your 2nd Cub :applause:. Welcome to the MCC to... and yes, you can stand up and say "my name is 357cyrus and I am addicted to Cubs !"

I would second the suggestion that you try to attend the Bash. It would be a good thing for you to do.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”