Bolster Issues

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 pm

I've got a couple of small bolts for the shroud, busted off in the bolster. Considering the debacle of breaking an easy out off in the block - I'm asking ya'll the CORRECT process for removing these bolts from the bolster.

Ken

Re: Bolster Issues

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Personally, I drill them out, being carefull not to go into the water jacket.

I then Tap them 1/4 20 and use stainless screws like in the dash. I also do this to the fan shroud. Them little screws break to durn easy.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Dale, Do you buy a bottom tap or make one for this type of hole...

Thanks for your reply, Ken

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm

nope Ken, there is a gap between the end of the screw, and the water jacket(pocket). Drill out the screw, but don't go past it BE CAREFUL. mARK YOUR DRILL SO YOU DON'T GO TOO DEEP

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:19 am

the correct screw size for the doglegs is 10-24
tim

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:22 am

Ken, don't buy cheap taps. Especially small taps. Buy high speed taps and go just a little larger on the tap drill size on the smaller taps. This won't hurt a thing and will save breaking small taps. Just my two cents.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:30 am

I have a 107 piece set of taps and dies from Craftsman. They've performed well so far. Thanks again for all the sound advice as usual.

Ken

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 am

Ken,

You might want to look here http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=44710.

I believe that I remember someone drilling/tapping the holes out to a larger size then inserting a bolt with loctite, cutting the bolt off flush then drilling/tapping to the 10-24 size. The correct police will never know. :)

Bill