This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

does anyone get annoyed with their dealer?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
danmcdonald
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60518

Re: does anyone get annoyed with their dealer?

Postby danmcdonald » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 am

I have a great IH dealer in Amboy IL. I don't go there that often because I call the part number in and they deliver it free to my farm and bill me later.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 am

I grew up being annoyed by farm equipment dealers so I guess I'm just used to it, expect it, and don't let it get me down.

One factor in this is the type of person that will work for what dealers are willing to pay. Parts man used to pay a good wage, something a man could support a family in relative comfort on. Inflation has happened and the wage has pretty much stayed the same. $9-$10/hr jobs are a dime a dozen. It's hard to get someone to care about their job when they can easily go somewhere else tomorrow and parlay their "experience" as a parts man into more $$$.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Thu May 09, 2013 9:52 am

I get annoyed (just this AM actually) when I call my JD dealer for the price of an alternator for my 1982 750 and he tells me "$509.00." $509 for an alternator?!? What the :censored: ?

Annoying!

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am

Bigschuss wrote:I get annoyed (just this AM actually) when I call my JD dealer for the price of an alternator for my 1982 750 and he tells me "$509.00." $509 for an alternator?!? What the :censored: ?

Annoying!

Blair

When the bosch alternator on our JD 2940 went bad, the mechanic replaced it with a Delco. Just had to use some washers behind the stock mounting bracket to make it work, and tape up one connection in the wiring harness. MUCH cheaper than the Bosch alternator.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 am

Don McCombs wrote:I find it advantageous to walk into the dealership knowing the CIH part numbers for the things I need. Saves their time and mine
Bill Hudson wrote: Could be that I call/go with part numbers in hand. Why not, I have the resources available right here, on this site, to identify the parts, by number, that I need
1farmall95cub0 wrote:at my local auto parts store it all depends on who is waiting on you

I find in general the first person to wait on me is not very experienced no matter if it's the CIH dealer, any auto parts store, or a place like Tractor Supply. There usually is, however, someone there that can help and glad to do it. Like Bill does, I do the leg work, not for them but for me. If left to the counter guy I would normally leave without them being able to help. I do the leg work too because I am known to be a bit scotch so if I can save 25 percent (or more) on a gasket set or a mower belt I'm inclined to do it (usually the exact same brand). I shop around for the best prices, usually on the computer. Then I order the part(s) on the phone, and since the item(s) usually need ordered in I pick them up a day or so later, sometimes the same day. Being cheerful helps, often I'll ask for their help by saying, "I could use your help." with a smile and try to make it something interesting. Bottom line, I don't get annoyed unless I feel an individual is not being helpful, either deliberately or by sheer ignorance, when I know they usually can. (I worked at auto parts places for a number of years and I know their resources) FWIW - I don't buy anything from TSC except bulk bolts and oils when on sale, I can normally get better parts for less elsewhere.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri May 10, 2013 5:58 am

Good thread....Learned about Columbia Tractor....Will try them ....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Fri May 10, 2013 6:35 am

When I lived in Illinois I used Stoller CIH in Ottawa and Herscher. They both were very good at knowing where to look for Cub parts. Since I moved to Pittsburgh, I deal with TM and they are excellent and a forum sponser.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Fri May 10, 2013 6:49 am

My CIH dealer is 35 miles away. Have been going to them for almost 17 years. They do not normally have older tractor parts. I don't work on any newer stuff. A 1967 706 is the newest IH I have worked on. If I plan on going to them I bring a part number list with me. If it is a drop in because I am in the area they look it up for me. Have never had a problem with a bad attitude from them.

Napa is 10 miles away. I get what I need from them if I have to have it right away. They had 2 real good guys there for parts but one got a different job. The other has become store manager so he is not at the counter that much. They have a woman there that was at the local JD dealer for a long time. She is very knowledgeable. There are a couple of other guys there that are learning. As for having trouble looking up parts, it comes with time on the job. I have found that the people who don't want to help won't be there very long.

Rodney 8)

Edited for spelling
Last edited by Rodney51Cub on Fri May 10, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1976 - 1996

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Fri May 10, 2013 10:16 am

pickerandsinger wrote:I get annoyed with everyone in the public workplace....I can't even order seeds out a a seed catalog without getting ticked talking to someone from who knows where...Its my experience that counter help in auto parts stores has no idea of what their looking for outside of a number....As Mr Hudson says if you have the time and resources to do their job for them and bring them treats, they'll reward you with the service they should have given you to begin with...What a lovely time I had finding blades for a C2 IH...No one wanted to be troubled....I particularly like it when they don't have an item in stock and you have to pay for them to have it shipped to them and then again to have it shipped to you....I guess thats why the Chinese own our Country....Oops have to stop now, this ol disabled vet from Viet Nam can get carried away at times...Short answer...Yes I get annoyed... :censored: :censored: :censored: Dave

I get to feeling the same way. I love the invention of the internet. I can remember before the internet buying diaphrams for the chainsaw or a needle and seat for the dirtbike carb and you HAD to go to the dealer. they would go look at the microphish and tell you what the cost was and that was that. unless you wanted to ask for the part # walk out drive home call all around town and the neighboring parts stores and cost compare it was like the power was in their hands ( no cell phones either remember) . well guess what, now I can look up parts and info in the net. search the part # and find most things for a fraction of the cost. order it right to my front door in seconds and have a better idea of what i'm getting than the guy at the parts store. so now the only reason for me to go to a local store is to try to support my local stores. if they tick my off I just don't go there any more. they better be carefull because the internet has shifted the power into the hands of the consumer.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Agree with most everyone, do the research and be your own parts person.

See if you can talk your auto parts store out of their old counter catalogs. Couple of good parts catalogs to pick up are small engine/outdoor/power equipment and one covering engine management - illustrated guide.

Frequently you will be told a part is no longer available. Bit of research, you can find the same exact part listed under an other application.
I have an excuse. CRS.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri May 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I really like my local mom and pop place...Teds Farm Equipment in Fairhaven. Shirley behind the counter is super knowledgeable and always leave impressed. I asked for some specific Champion plugs and she asks "for a Cub?" Me "yup". She turns around and grabs some plugs and says "you don't want them you want these...they run hotta" in her old swamp yankee new england accent. Or when we went to get some knives for a Ford Flail mower, she was cross referencing them and said "Ford didn't make anything, just put their name on equipment made by others" and then found some on a dusty shelf!
The shop is a throw back...always a cat on the counter and 2 or 3 dogs underfoot. Sometimes an orphaned calf will be penned up on the show room floor. I love it. And you can always count on a couple old farmers sitting on stools in front of the counter ready to ask you what you are planting. Her prices are fair, she never charges shipping if she needs to order something for you and never charges tax. Everyone is farm exempt. She also runs a dairy farm and will open up on Sundays if you need to get something, or leave it out by the door after hours if you can't get there in time and will say just leave a check or pay me later. How awesome is that! I think I'll stop in on Saturday for my dose of old school smarts and service! Thanks Shirley...you are the best! Will be bringing by some dog bones from the butcher and some cat food.
Chris

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri May 10, 2013 7:20 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:Good thread....Learned about Columbia Tractor....Will try them ....Dave

Ronnie knows his stuff. I am sure others do too, but he is the guy I ask for.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Chris:

Sometimes we see the negatives instead of the positives. There is something to be said for olde tyme dealerships. Newer ones can be good as well. We need to stress the positive a lot more than the negative and sometimes we forget that. I try not to think about it, but I guess it is because we don't have our old CaseIH dealer anymore that makes it negative. Support your local dealers when/if you can because when they are gone, they are gone.

I enjoyed your narrative, brings back memories from when I was young and Dad would take me to Feldman Timber for a stock run and to ogle the tools... so thanks for that :D I haven't thought about it for way too long :(

What others have said makes sense. I never go to my local building supply dealer without a bill of materials for my projects ... so why should we go to our dealer without a list of what we need. So it makes sense for us to take our parts list complete with up to date part numbers with us when we go to the parts counter. We have the resources, so we may as well.

One thing I did while we had Bremners (they are gone too), when I forgot my list - I showed him the parts catalogs on the server. We were able to look up the part number, he saw what it was and then it didn't take long for him to find the part in his puter. Sometimes we need to think of things like that to help the counter people be better counter people.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Rudi,
Columbia Tractor and the little shops like Teds are the posiitves. For sure!

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 am

Super A wrote:
Bigschuss wrote:I get annoyed (just this AM actually) when I call my JD dealer for the price of an alternator for my 1982 750 and he tells me "$509.00." $509 for an alternator?!? What the :censored: ?

Annoying!

Blair

When the bosch alternator on our JD 2940 went bad, the mechanic replaced it with a Delco. Just had to use some washers behind the stock mounting bracket to make it work, and tape up one connection in the wiring harness. MUCH cheaper than the Bosch alternator.

Al

Thanks Al. Good tip. I'll try this.

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Return to “Farmall Cub”