does anyone get annoyed with their dealer?

Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 pm

seems like the dealer doesn't really like to deal with looking up parts for an old cub. i can tell that when i walk in the door they get annoyed, its like oh, no now i have to look up parts for this old piece of junk kind of attitude. i am the only one that feels this way. they would rather try to sell me a new crap cadet then order the parts for a really good tractor. does anyone else get this, where they dont want to deal with an old machine? i think they should look up the parts with a smile, their one of their jobs is to sell parts for case/IH equipment PAST and PRESENT. some of their parts their prices are way off anyways. i needed a belt for the danco, their price $54 napa $36. what other parts does napa have for these machines? do they carry oil filters? deck bearings? seals? i might start going to napa for allot of things.

they dont actually come out and say that my cub is a "peice of junk" but their body langauge says it all. this tractor is built better then any shiney new yellow and white peice of plastic and tin that they sell for several thousand dollars that will end up in a landfill in 10 years or less.

Re: does anyone get annoyed with their dealer?

Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm

http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html

This might help.

Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm

I have very little problem with my dealer but I do buy a lot of Cub stuff from my NAPA store. If your NAPA has knowledgeable counter people they should be able to cross reference many parts. I usually go to napaonline.com and cross reference IH parts.

Wed May 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Depends on the dealer. I used to have a dealer close by, but CaseIH decided to pull the plug on em ... owner pulled the plug as well... :( Closest dealer is an hour east or west of me and neither have good service nor care to provide it unless you just bought a really expensive tractor -- and then that only lasts for a little while. :big give up:

So, my new local dealers are:

TM Tractor
    Columbia Tractor
    Carter & Grunewald

When I need genuine IH parts these are the folks I get em all from. Tom actually gets a lot of his from Columbia but Tom and Lynn are much better in the service department and they are friends so they get the business first. If I need stuff that Tom and Lynn don't carry, then I usually go to Columbia if I am on my way to New York or C&B if not. Ken at C&G is the go to guy period. You need parts for your Danco ... call Ken. Need parts for a Woods.... call Ken. That simple.

I don't mess with dealers who do not have good service or good parts people. There are a lot of parts that are cross referenced here - 7) Are parts available? and there are other parts lists somewhere depending on what you need.

Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm

I am blessed in that first these tractors were tremendously popular here, and to some extent still are. Secondly we have two really good dealers with 45 minutes of us in either direction. The number one thing that can help is to bring a part number with you. It can save them a lot of time digging through parts books or looking on the computer for what you need.

Al

Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 pm

After spending several thousand dollars in parts at my local deal, i wrote him off. Now i only deal with C&G and TM. period. My local dealer stated to my mechanic that they wished i would die or go somewhere else for my parts, cause i was a royal pain in the a$$ with them old tractors he keeps buying up. So i obliged him, i did let owner know the parts managers feelings towards me though, not that it did any good.

Wed May 08, 2013 3:35 pm

With the dealer I have, it depends on who is working the counter that day :-) I usually get what I need in the end tho. A good dealer takes care of whoever walks in their door.

Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I get great service from my local dealers and NAPA. Could be that I call/go with part numbers in hand. Why not, I have the resources available right here, on this site, to identify the parts, by number, that I need. I pick up the parts I ordered and pay cash-on-the-barrelhead. Instead of a pain in the posterior, I'm a welcome change. A plate of homemade Christmas cookies, an occasional strawberry shortcake will do wonders for you.

Why go to all that bother, after all it's THEIR job to search out the parts? That is what they are PAID to do. I agree, however, any one of the dealers/NAPA that I deal with will jump through NUMEROUS hoops for me when I need help on an especially difficult problem.

I enter the business with a smile and greet them warmly, call them by name and tell them that I hope they are having a great day. Guess what they are smiling too and eager to help me. I'm not a large customer, so I don't get this treatment because I make them a lot of money, however, upon occasion I may make their day.

Bill

Wed May 08, 2013 4:39 pm

I find it advantageous to walk into the dealership knowing the CIH part numbers for the things I need. Saves their time and mine. :wink:

Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm

I get annoyed with everyone in the public workplace....I can't even order seeds out a a seed catalog without getting ticked talking to someone from who knows where...Its my experience that counter help in auto parts stores has no idea of what their looking for outside of a number....As Mr Hudson says if you have the time and resources to do their job for them and bring them treats, they'll reward you with the service they should have given you to begin with...What a lovely time I had finding blades for a C2 IH...No one wanted to be troubled....I particularly like it when they don't have an item in stock and you have to pay for them to have it shipped to them and then again to have it shipped to you....I guess thats why the Chinese own our Country....Oops have to stop now, this ol disabled vet from Viet Nam can get carried away at times...Short answer...Yes I get annoyed... :censored: :censored: :censored: Dave

Wed May 08, 2013 5:07 pm

My closest dealer is an hour's drive, so I only go there on those occasions when the local parts store doesn't have what I need, and I'm suffering from NIRTS so I can't order from TM. However, they are always willing to spend whatever time is necessary to find what I need. I think it helps that it's in the middle of farm country, where a lot of farmers still use old iron. There is always at least one letter-series tractor in the shop, and they often have a used cub or several out front for sale, as well as being willing to find me a used front cover and pulley when I had the motor up for machine work during the rebuild.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:08 pm

I have 2 agco dealers. One won't do anything the other is very good at getting old parts. My case dealer
Is more than helpful.Most of these guys I've known most my adult life. Being nice really helps.They get alot
of grouches,especially during planting & harvest time.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Columbia Tractor has a great parts department.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 pm

at my local auto parts store it all depends on who is waiting on you, for the most part they are all pretty knowledable about everything, and havnet really givven me any problems with ordering parts for my old tractors, the other day i was at Tractor Supply, asked where there electrical wire was, "oh we dont carry any electrical wire what so ever" asked where i could find a brush grubber "nope we dont have them either" walked through the store, found an 8ft display of wire, and a brush grubber

Thu May 09, 2013 7:02 am

CapeCodCubs wrote:Columbia Tractor has a great parts department.

2 x on Columbia tractor in NY , they have the parts and do shipping and the parts guy on the phone is not at all bothered by a vintage Cub parts search , they also have some Cub stuff in stock such as throw out bearings, carb kits and exhaust pipes http://www.columbiatractor.com/