Successful removal of a siezed exhaust pipe

Sat May 11, 2013 7:27 pm

The basket-case demo cub had a badly bent and rusted in place exhaust pipe. I followed the method in the CBoK for removal and it went as slick as owl you-know-what.
The one remaining question is how deep the manifold is tapped. About 1" of pipe came right out cleanly. I am trying to find my pipe taps and will chase the threads without tapping too deep. I'll see how this goes tomorrow.
We have some folks coming over to pick some bluegrass tonight. Got a new banjo to break in.

Thanks again for this great resource.
Ron
Last edited by RonT on Sun May 12, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Successful removal of a siezed exhaust pipe

Sat May 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Ron:

Glad the CBoK was of use to you. Enjoy breaking in the banjo. Bluegrass is kinda cool. Lots of us pickers and frustrated pickers here ... have a blast :D Oh yeah, post of pic of the manifold .. :idea:

Sat May 11, 2013 10:07 pm

pipe taps are tapered. you should feel it get a little more difficult and start to see it throw a chip when it bottoms out into the taper. thats when i stop when cleaning out threads.

Sun May 12, 2013 5:56 am

Thanks, I will be careful not to cut new threads or enlarge the bore. I just wanted to make sure the pipe threads in far enough for full strength. I will use never-sieze when I put the new pipe and save my son from having to do this again 30 years from now.

Sun May 12, 2013 7:03 pm

I didn't have a pipe tap so I cut 4 slots in a nipple and uses that to clean exhaust threads. If I remember right it is 1 1/4 inch not 1 inch or was that on my neighbors C. The older I get the forgetter I get.