Planter Gearing Questions

Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Picked up this new to me 174 planter with combination hopper last weekend it has a really small drive wheel on the planter for the fertilize hopper. What is the purpose of a gear this small does it speed up or slow down the flow? Never saw a gear this small before.

Re: Planter Gearing Questions

Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I would think it would speed it up.

Sun May 12, 2013 12:18 am

Brandon:

Which gear? Cub-174 Runner Planter 5-28-54

Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I would think it would speed it up.

Opposite. Have you ever ridden a ten speed? The small gear at the pedals and large gear at the wheel is what you use to climb hills. The small gear is the driving gear. One revolution of a small gear only moves a few inches of chain. One revolution of a large gear in this location would move much more chain driving the hopper to go faster. The gear on the hopper does the same thing only in reverse. If the hopper gear was the same size, the hopper shaft would turn at the same speed as the planter shaft. If the gear was smaller, the same amount of chain distance traveled would make more shaft revolutions. The way this is set up, the fertilizer hopper is being slowed down as much as possible- unless there is a larger gear available. for the hopper shaft. Somebody must have priced out a bag of fertilizer. :shock:

Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 am

you can regulate the flow to some degree with the feed gate