This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie with only 24 questions, and a picture

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hooverl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46985

Newbie with only 24 questions, and a picture

Postby hooverl » Sun May 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Greetings everyone! New to posting, but a long time follower. I've actually followed the attached picture CUB for a while, before it came up for sale at an auction. It was previously owned by my brother's wife's grandpa.

I have also followed this forum site, and love it! Here are my questions (remember, I'm a newbie), in no particular order. Thanks in advance!!! :D

1) serial number is 250578...............is this a 1976?
2) would you consider this a "long stripe"? It has the tell tale signs.
3) anyone have any respected friends in Northern Indiana, that I could refer to for help? I'm between Rochester and Logansport.
4) I rarely see any pics of the gear shift being bent. Why is that? Most are straight.
5) like other posts, my Touch Control doesn't work. Is 303 hydraulic oil good enough to put in?
6) There is no, No, NOOOOOOO action from the Touch Control. If I add the above mentioned 303, and keep slowly adding it, think it will start working? I can freely move the piston of the Touch Control. It's not seized, and I can move it while running or when shut off. Hopefully it just needs some fluid.
7) What is your favorite color? Did anyone really read this far?
8) If I drill out a hole (any hole) on my draw bar, will I regret this decision later? I really need it big enough to fit a ball hitch.
9) What do you think this tractor (seriously, nothing hurts my feelings) is worth? Just for reference.
10) Anything else you can notice about the tractor from the picture? I'm not going to restore it (yet, ha). I love the nostalgia look.

Any comments are welcomed. Thanks everyone!!!!!!! :D
Attachments
cubLEFT.JPG
cubLEFT.JPG (143.03 KiB) Viewed 715 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie with only 24 questions, and a picture

Postby Barnyard » Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 pm

1)serial number is 250578...............is this a 1976?
Yes

2) would you consider this a "long stripe"? It has the tell tale signs.
Yes

3) anyone have any respected friends in Northern Indiana, that I could refer to for help? I'm between Rochester and Logansport.
There are several members in northern Indiana. Would have to check to map to see which ones are close to you.

4) I rarely see any pics of the gear shift being bent. Why is that? Most are straight.
Gear shifts are straight on pan seats and bent on deluxe seats. You have a deluxe seat.

5) like other posts, my Touch Control doesn't work. Is 303 hydraulic oil good enough to put in?
Not sure what 303 is. If it is a hydraulic/transmission oil then it should be good.

6) There is no, No, NOOOOOOO action from the Touch Control. If I add the above mentioned 303, and keep slowly adding it, think it will start working? I can freely move the piston of the Touch Control. It's not seized, and I can move it while running or when shut off. Hopefully it just needs some fluid.
It may work with more oil, again it depends on what 303 is.

7) What is your favorite color? Did anyone really read this far?
Red and yes I am still reading.

:) If I drill out a hole (any hole) on my draw bar, will I regret this decision later? I really need it big enough to fit a ball hitch.
Probably won’t regret it. A lot of people do that.

9) What do you think this tractor (seriously, nothing hurts my feelings) is worth? Just for reference.
Hard to say.

10) Anything else you can notice about the tractor from the picture? I'm not going to restore it (yet, ha). I love the nostalgia look.
Looks good the way it is.

Any comments are welcomed. Thanks everyone!!!!!!! :D
Bring it to the Barnyard Bash CubFest west of Cincinnati May 31 and June 1. You won't regret it. http://www.barnyardbash.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Instead of drilling out the drawbar, I'd bolt a small plate to drawbar, then put the ball to in the plate. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-original-F ... 232ae9cbfd

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Hoover,

I'll take them in the order I want to answer:

#7. I like red (married a redhead). Yes, I read this far. :lol:
#4. Bent to clear the nice soft cushy deluxe seat.
#8. In all probability, yes. Bolt a 1/2" plate to the drawbar with a hole large enough to accommodate the hitch ball.
#3. Can't help you there.
#10. Not that I can see.

I'll leave the rest for others, who are much more knowledgeable, to answer.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the ride.

Bill

Boy, Barnyard and Raymond types fast.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:50 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:Welcome to the Forum!
Instead of drilling out the drawbar, I'd bolt a small plate to drawbar, then put the ball to in the plate. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-original-F ... 232ae9cbfd

... or get a ball with a 5/8" shank :wink:
(I think there are other threads on this as well)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67881&p=551749&hilit=trailer+ball#p551749

Good looking Cub, Welcome to the Forum!

Best of luck,
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun May 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Some balls for hitch ball have a removable carriage bolt. I have a hitch ball with a bolt that fits the undrilled draw bar holes.

You are 14 questions short of your stated goal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 pm

It sounds to me like you have already bought this Cub at an auction. So you paid more for it than everybody else there thought it was worth :shock: . That's how auctions work unfortunately. But in answer to #9 I think it's worth at least $250 more than what you paid. :D (Hey, I buy stuff at auctions to and may need some blind support sometime :lol: )

#7 RED! but I could live with a Cub looking like that.
#7A You betcha.

#8 for about $20 delivered from etrailer, or find a good trailer section in a store near you and get the 5/8" shank ball. No drilling, easily installed and removed if needed. Adding a triangular plate is an option as is just bolting on a square tube step bumper receiver hitch and then using a slide in ball mount. To many inexpensive options to justify butchering a drawbar.

#5 Sorry don't have a clue what 303 is.

#6 I think fixes like that only happen in the movies. But do start with checking the level of hydraulic fluid you now have. It has a set level so "just adding more" isn't really a good plan. To get it over full you would have to turn the Cub on it's side. If it's low then yes it needs some. Also WHY is it low. Hydraulic fluid just doesn't disappear, it goes somewhere. If it leaks outside, you will see a big trail of Hydraulic fluid. If the level goes down but none shows, your hydraulic pump is leaking into the engine crankcase. Not uncommon and not real difficult to fix if it comes to that.

The rest have been answered sufficiently. I don't think there were the advertised 24 questions but I think there were more than numbered. I lost count when I saw there was a picture. :{_}:

Brendan In NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27858
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub Red Square Nose # 223883 one of 2300 built before they switch to Yellow and White.

1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Just a Clean Strong run of the mill Farmall 140 with very little Wear.

Also have a bit of equipment
Woods C-42 Belly mower, 1963 IH McCormick #215 Plow, IH #144 Cultivators, IH Side Dresser (in need of some work non working at the moment)

Postby Brendan In NC » Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Nice find! :big afro: Like Them long Stripe's!
(1977 IH Cub with IH Cub 54-A Blade)
books_004.jpg
books_004.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Tractors are like watermelons..Eat the red and throw away the green!!
Brendan Dixon Greenville NC
1964 Farmall Cub #223883
1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Tractorguy140, YouTube

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun May 12, 2013 11:19 pm

G'day to you and I guess congrats :applause: on the 76 :D You already got most of the answers but I will add one -- yes you will regret drilling out the draw bar. Draw-Tite has a 5/8" dia shank that will fit nicely.

We have lots of resources for our members so suggest you take a bit of time and follow the links below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Mon May 13, 2013 6:06 am

Congrats on the cub and welcome to the forum....Dave
In Memory of 58,286

hooverl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46985

Postby hooverl » Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 am

THANKS EVERYONE!!! The support on this forum is overwhelming, and the resources (manuals, pictures, and people again) will make my experience with my cub even better.

In response to my questions, and those who answered........

*I actually have more questions, but I didn't want to be a burden, yet.
*I'm probably smarter than I come off on here. I have an office job, but I strongly prefer to be outside, and any time spent in my garden or on my tractors is appreciated.
*I'll most likely bolt a bar to my rear, like suggested. In the future, I'll look to buying one. I probably need to getting a smaller shaft ball anyway. Most of mine are for traditional Reese hitches.....to big to fit in the provided holes.
*I'm still trying to find some people in my area that are fanatics of Cubs. I have some leads, and I don't mind travelling to visit.
*303 oil is from Rural King, and it is oil that I use for my backhoe and for my log splitter. I assume it would work.
*Thanks again everyone!!! I'll surely have more questions in the future. I have a Woods belly mower, that I haven't hooked up yet. I got the belt, but no bolts/pins. When I get a plow (much, MUCH needed, as I have a 4-6 acre garden usually), I'll have more questions.

A little at a time!!!

THANKS!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 13, 2013 8:34 am

I think the questions have been pretty well covered, but here are a couple more comments I'll throw in.

1) I have never knowingly had any 303 hydraulic oil on hand, but several name brands source it and I believe it is a common spec for a universal hydraulic oil. If so, it should be fine in a Cub. If so, it should also be labeled as Hy-Tran compatible or conforms to MS-1207 or Ms-1209 or have some labeling to confirm the grade.

2) A hitch plate is a good approach to the trailer ball, in fact they are a nice-to-have even if there were no hole size complication. However, the one shown on eBay in this listing:
RaymondDurban wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-original-Farmall-Cub-tractor-draw-bar-extension-/151043820541?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item232ae9cbfd
is for a Farmall A, not a Cub. EBay is full of things listed for a Cub that don't fit.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Mon May 13, 2013 9:04 am

I believe "303" is a JD spec hydraulic oil recommended for machines with hydraulic type transmissions/wet clutch applications. A number of non JD companies have it available.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:10 pm

hooverl wrote:6) There is no, No, NOOOOOOO action from the Touch Control. If I add the above mentioned 303, and keep slowly adding it, think it will start working? I can freely move the piston of the Touch Control. It's not seized, and I can move it while running or when shut off. Hopefully it just needs some fluid.

I don't think you should be able to move the piston by hand.

If filling the TC doesn't help (remember to fully cycle the TC 10-12 times at medium throttle with the fill nut removed after filling to make sure the air is out of the system), pull the pump and make sure the drive gear hasn't come off the pump. I just went through that.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue May 14, 2013 7:14 am

Long stripe's are RARE, only 5500 made. Ignore the answers about RED.... they are just jealous or don't know that yeller ones are better!

Not a good idea to mix any kind of oil, pull the drain plug on the TC and let it drain. Then refill with your hydraulic oil, right to the bottom of the fill plug. Cycle the lever a couple of times and check the level again. You should be able to hear it dumping the pressure, it should also move the arms. If that doesn't work, it's time to work on it.

5/8" shank trailer hitch ball is very hard to find, but ATV supply places may have them. Something like this is a good option too:

Painting is overrated..... and a whole lot of work. I didn't paint my red long stripe.

Enjoy your Cub!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”