This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hard starting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
big moon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06751

Hard starting

Postby big moon » Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Hello everyone.
I was hoping you could help point me in some sort of direction with my cub. It takes many tries to get my cub to start and when it finally does it sputters a bit and finally gets going after puffing out some smoke. It really doesn't start well in cold weather, but it fires right up if the engine is warm. I put in new plugs and I brought the old ones to the Napa auto parts store and the guy there said it looks like it is running to rich. I have been using my cub and it works great once it is started. But I want to get everything in the best possible condition. Over the winter I drained and replaced all the fluids. I adjusted the clutch. Is it my engine that needs work? Thanks in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hard starting

Postby Eugene » Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Start with complete engine tune up. Dry then wet compression tests. Then valve tappet adjustment, ignition tune up, and lastly carburetor.

Compression tests will tell you a lot about engine condition.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 pm

What Eugene said :!: Complete tuneup. Make sure the gap is correct. Same with points. Make sure they aren't burned or glazed. If glazed pull a matchbook cover through them or some brown grocers paper. Make sure the contacts in the cap are clean. Make sure ALL connections from the battery right up through are clean and bright - and the grounds as well. Ensure the saddle switch is clean inside with no corrosion. Same with the contact on the starter. Verify all.

Then I would run some SeaFoam through. 1/2 can in the crankcase and a 1/2 can in a tank of gas. You may also want to check the valves and adjust the lash. Not hard to do. If I can do it anyone can.

Then check you fuel circuit - from the tank, through the fuel sediment bowl, to the carb inlet, metering jet and of course the needle and cage. Clean the metering jet - both orifices - use a strand of twisted pair aka telephone wire. Nothing stiffer otherwise you may end up deforming/scratching the jet. Ensure that the longitudinal orifice at the end of the jet is not plugged.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Tue May 14, 2013 5:31 am

And of coarse, don't forget timing.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Return to “Farmall Cub”