This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Cub Mower/Pto/Power Questions Please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rustymich
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701

1949 Cub Mower/Pto/Power Questions Please

Postby rustymich » Thu May 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi all Ive got a 49 Cub with a Woods 59 mower it seems to run great had the mower with it question is when I mow or try to seems the governor doesnt kick in to help increase the rpms which lets it want to stall if I dont push in the clutch....Yesterday I hooked the tractor to my truck bumper with the draw bar and in first it kept digging and with the gov open and working as it should any ideas why I cant get that mowing???I can start real slow and mow at a higher height but just doesnt get up and mow and this is grass 3-4inches high lord help me if I try a field thanks all.......Hope my spellings right here :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: 1949 Cub Mower/Pto/Power Questions Please

Postby Former Member » Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Unless your cub is at peak performance, the woods 59 is a little too much for your tractor. Your gov. is most likely doing its job with the mower, it is just maxing it out just to turn those 3 spindles. It can't dig in, because it is already using all it's power.

Complete tune up, valve lash adjusted......... or get a 42" woods

The 59' mowers work best on the newer, more powerful cubs

rustymich
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustymich » Thu May 16, 2013 2:44 pm

I did a tuneup new plugs/wires/cap/oil/points set doesnt smoke a bit and checked the timing...But did nothing with the valves Ill try that..Compression dry on the engine was 1-120 2-100 3-110 4-120 Wondering what Cubs are more powerful havent heard that thanks for the help....

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 pm

I have a Woods 59 on my Cub LoBoy and it also is pushing its limits. The Cub just doesn't have enough horsepower to really turn that much blade. You have to keep the blades sharp, the engine tuned and vary the cutting depth with the lift to make it cut. Its not a brush hog. And with thick grass 3" or more tall it'll stall the tractor if you are trying to cut too short. All of those newer zero turn mowers with 59" of cutting deck have more then 20 horsepower on them and the cub has only 11 horsepower. They are not in the same class. It takes gearing to pull a plow. It takes raw horsepower to turn a large mower. And in hot weather and thick grass the cubs cooling system will boil over running bogged down at full throttle.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

rustymich
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustymich » Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks that makes sense with the trans doing the pulling and the pto a direct shot from the engine...

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Thu May 16, 2013 3:53 pm

With those compression numbers, I would think that you should be able to spin the mower and cut some grass. I have a 59 on Merlin and he cuts grass all day long with a 59.

Couple things to check:

1. Is there any slop in your governor linkage? If the governor is sloppy, it won't allow the engine to reach full revs and full power.
2. Check the attitude of the mower when in cutting position. It is supposed to be higher in the back than in the front when cutting. If not, you are cutting the grass and the
clippings several times over and that robs power from the tractor.
3. Will the tractor spin the mower well when it is sitting still with the PTO engaged? Are the spindles greased and do they spin easily?
4. Valve lash is important, too, as Dale said...it allows the tractor to breathe at the RIGHT time.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu May 16, 2013 3:56 pm

In '68 (I think) when they started putting dome top pistons in, the cub got a little more power. Then, when they did the final revisions to the motor, including lighter gov. weights, it increased to 18hp.

A vlve lash adjustment might do the trick. An electrical tune up will make it run great, and smooth, but adjusting the valve lash will give you more power/torque.

It is an easy job to do. Good luck.

oldskool
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44833

Postby oldskool » Fri May 17, 2013 10:04 am

SHARP blades help more than you think

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 am

I had the same experience with my 1956 Cub and a 59 inch mower. Four inch grass would constantly stall it. My engine seemed to run very well at the time. But after removing the mower to use a fast hitch planter, I took a closer look at the engine. I found a lot of play in the governor to carburetor linkage. I have not had the mower on it since working on the governor linkage, but suspect that it will do a better job now.

As I read this thread, I was very interested in the power increase in the later Cub engine. What would need to be done to bring an older Cub like my 1956 up to 18 horsepower? Would it be a matter of domed pistons and an updated governor? Was the camshaft also different? An increase to 18 horsepower would probably make a huge difference.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 am

I have been thinking of a test to see if it is governor related or if it is wear on the engine. Years back, during a "Cub Tug" folks were running a string line from their governor rockshaft to the operator's seat. The idea was to override the governor and allow the engine to breath. Then you could sit in the operator's seat and start out. Just before you got into the high patch of weeds, pull on the string just a little bit to "goose" the engine and get it up into its torque range. If the engine maintains or increases RPM doing this, then it is your governor that is slowing you down.

As with any suggestion, BE CAREFUL. Do this in open ground with no turns in the area. Try it on a straight stretch. Nevertheless...if you have a sloppy linkage, your tractor will pull FAR better if you remove that slop. (Merlin sure did!)
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri May 17, 2013 11:08 am

Take the play out of the governor linkage. A little slop at each link and the throttle will not open all the way.

Is the mower is in good condition? Rough spindle bearings and too tight belt rob much needed power. Proper height adjustment is critical. Also, the mower requires less power after a few minutes of running, the belt warms up and becomes considerably more flexible.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Xperimental wrote:As I read this thread, I was very interested in the power increase in the later Cub engine. What would need to be done to bring an older Cub like my 1956 up to 18 horsepower? Would it be a matter of domed pistons and an updated governor? Was the camshaft also different? An increase to 18 horsepower would probably make a huge difference.

The biggest difference is in the ad copy.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri May 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Xperimental wrote:As I read this thread, I was very interested in the power increase in the later Cub engine. What would need to be done to bring an older Cub like my 1956 up to 18 horsepower? Would it be a matter of domed pistons and an updated governor? Was the camshaft also different? An increase to 18 horsepower would probably make a huge difference.

The biggest difference is in the ad copy.

Horsepower is irrevelant because swift acceleration with a Cub is not a priority. Torque cuts the grass. And with the C60 engine, torque drops off dramatically as horsepower (RPMs) increases. Increasing the power output of the engine will cause other parts of the tractor to fail, the rest of the Cub was not designed to withstand forces greater than the C60 engine was designed to produce.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri May 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Cannot stress enough "Aditude or angle of attack". When cutting height is set, mower must be slightly lower in front. Do whatever it takes within reason. Mowing flat or high in front takes 2-3 times more power. Do a search for other thread on this subject .l
Last edited by danovercash on Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Cannot stress enough "Aditude or angle of attack". When cut7ting height is set, mower must be slightly lower in front. Do whatever it takes within reason. Mowing flat or high in front takes 2-3 times more power. Do a search for other thread on this subject .
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”