This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plow Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gpcubboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62362
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub "Virgil"
1939 Ford 9N
193 Cub Plow
189 Club Plows
1919 McCormick Deering M gas Engine
Numerous Y's, WI's B&S Engines

Plow Question

Postby gpcubboy » Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 pm

I grew up following my grandfathers instructions and other neighbors I worked for plowing, chiseling, ripping, disking etc. However, I never questioned it but my grandfather on his cub plow had two wheel weights bolted on the beam of the plow and an old dragline tooth wired to it. He said it made it plow better. To me depth is controlled by the depth lever and the tractor has fluid in the tires why would he need the weight is this a dumb question? You can see photo in this post as well as some in another with me plowing with it. I only ever plowed with it a couple of times following his instructions. I am thinking about removing both of them can anyone tell me any reason why not to remove them? I have done more chiseling, ripping, disking etc. with larger equipment.
Attachments
cub for the web2.jpg
cub for the web2.jpg (494.65 KiB) Viewed 563 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plow Question

Postby twotone » Fri May 17, 2013 2:02 am

I've never needed weights on my 193 plow, and that's plowing Illinois Gumbo. If I push the plow lever all the way forward, it plows real deep, too deep actually.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 am

I would think the weights are there for one of two reasons. Grandpa THOUGHT they made it plow better (placebo effect). Or the weights do make it plow better because the plow isn't setup quite right. There are a few adjustments and a lot to take into account other than just bolting it on and start plowing. Maybe grandpa didn't know about some of the adjustments and adding the weight compensated for them being a little off. Check out this great description from the Implement How To section.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=38411

For me, if grandpa put them there, I'd have a very hard time taking them off for any reason.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 am

My father wouldn't take the coulters off his plows, even though they prevented the plow from sinking into the rocky land. He added weight. (didn't help) Wouldn't remove the coulters, because the plows "came that way". I finally bought a cub plow, without a coulter, at an auction, and used it, just as it came. Worked much better. (Must be, because it "came that way" Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Fri May 17, 2013 7:49 am

Like they said, If it is set up right I do not think you need the weight.

If you take off the weight let us know how it turns out.
"I ain't believing this!"

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Fri May 17, 2013 8:02 am

My 193 has coulter and jointer, and like I said, with the handle all the way forward, it goes too deep.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 am

Chris,

A properly adjusted plow with a good point and share will not need additional weight to make it work. Post some more pics (front, back, side) of the plow attached to the Cub. We can look for potential problems.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri May 17, 2013 10:20 am

Post some good pictures. Bill is the go to man, for plow issues! If he can't make it plow, send it to China! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri May 17, 2013 1:26 pm

If the share is worn out and dull, it will not want to dig in no matter what you do.

One "clever" solution is to force it into the ground by adding weight. I've seen people standing on top of the plow beams trying to force them into the ground, as well as having slabs of iron, chunks of concrete, or even large rocks strapped on.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri May 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:If the share is worn out and dull, it will not want to dig in no matter what you do.

One "clever" solution is to force it into the ground by adding weight. I've seen people standing on top of the plow beams trying to force them into the ground, as well as having slabs of iron, chunks of concrete, or even large rocks strapped on.

Matt,

I learned that lesson at CubFest 2006.
Here is what the share & point looked like on my FH Plow with the new parts lined up behind.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

iosco cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48730
Tractors Owned: fifty five fast hitch
fifty six cub

Postby iosco cub » Fri May 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Gentalmen. Is a colter nessessary for plowing? I have a 194 but no colter. Thanks Greg

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri May 17, 2013 5:36 pm

iosco cub wrote:Gentalmen. Is a colter nessessary for plowing? I have a 194 but no colter. Thanks Greg

Not necessary.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Denny Clayton wrote:
iosco cub wrote:Gentalmen. Is a colter nessessary for plowing? I have a 194 but no colter. Thanks Greg

Not necessary.

Denny is absolutely correct, however, a coulter is very desirable in some situations. Plowing corn stalks that have not been chopped comes readily to mind. After about the third or fourth time you have to get off and remove the accumulated stalks you will be wanting a notched coulter pretty quick. Anytime you are plowing under heavy trash, a notched coulter reduces the amount of plugging dramatically.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Fri May 17, 2013 9:02 pm

The weight I don't know about. I have never seen anyone weight a plow. On the question of a coulter it is easy to plow without one but I never will. A cleaner job of plowing can be gotten by cutting stalks and the plowing of sod. If you don't want it turned under why plow? Farmers here today do not plow much prefering to simply chisel. A joiner improves the covering but must be set right. The best and cleanest job of plowing we did was with a Lantz coulter which I haven't seen in 50 years. They consisted of the normal coulter with what would look like a small disc plow mounted alongside of it in the normal place ahead of the moldboard. These did take some power to pull. I doubt it takes anymore power to pull a properly set coulter set a couple of inches deep in a heavy sod than it does to rip the sod apart with the moldboard. Vern

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 19, 2013 1:09 pm

One reason, as has been mentioned is that at one time the point was worn down and it would not go down properly. The point may have been replaced and the weights never removed. I guarany, the weights would not have made it better if you had a hand lift. :lol: One thing they may have done though is make it get to depth quicker, because unless you make a cross the end starting furrow, the plow takes up to 4 feet to get to depth on it's own.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”