Throwout bearing

Fri May 17, 2013 5:36 am

I was cutting the grass yesterday I was almost done and then I heard chattering from the clutch if I let up on the pedal. I removed hand hole cover and looked inside I can move the throwout bearing back and forth on the shaft freely. What holds the throwout bearing in or on the fork? Will I have to split tractor to fix? Thanks

Re: Throwout bearing

Fri May 17, 2013 8:15 am

Fri May 17, 2013 8:24 am

Spring on the clutch pedal pulls the bearing away from the pressure plate. Yes, if you need to replace the throwout bearing it is necessary to split it. Here is a link to what a new one looks like, compliments of TM Tractor. http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/378fp.htm If you buy an aftermarket one soak it in oil a couple days to prelubricate it.

Fri May 17, 2013 8:42 am

The throwout bearing is held in place by a yoke consisting mainly of parts 10 and 11 or 21 and 22 in the diagram above. The yoke, holding the throwout bearing, is held together at the bottom with either a pin or a bolt. Without knowing what came loose or apart, a tractor split is required.

Fri May 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Double check the bolt at the pedal to make sure it hasn't come loose. Just a thought...