Tested magnetos today

Sun May 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Spent a relaxing day inventorying the pieces/parts that came with my basket-case 1950 Cub.
I got around to the two J4 magnetoes that came with the parts. In a former career, I used to rebuild small aircraft magnetoes at the auto-electric shop I worked at so I felt pretty confident that I wouldn't hurt anything.
I plugged one of the plug wires into the coil cap and put a new spark plug on the other end. Holding the plug base grounded to the housing, I cycled each through the impulse. There was a good blue spark on one mag but the other was dead.
I took off the cap, rotor and cover and found green points and a broken insulator where the wires come together on the stud.
I had some insulating washers laying around that fit the bill nicely. I polished the points to a high shine with crocus cloth and after cleaning the housing, put it all back together setting the gap and putting a small smear of distributor can lube on the lobes.
Luck shined on me - I now have two hot mags.
Thanks for the volumes of technical help in the archives of this forum. I haven't had a question yet that wasn't already answered here.

Ron

Re: Tested magnetos today

Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Cool.....

Re: Tested magnetos today

Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Ron:

Glad you has some quality relaxation time with the mags. It is always enjoyable when stuff works out :D