This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub farmall lock tight poured in radiator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
2x3C Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23231

cub farmall lock tight poured in radiator

Postby 2x3C Farm » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 am

Hi all, I hope I can get some help for my dad's farmall. It had a leaking radiator and he poured in lock tight, yeah the blue glue like stuff. He had a stroke and seisures so we're contributing this mistake to that. Anyway what do we need to do now? He has run the tractor but I don't know for how long. I know we need to replace the radiator but what else should we do? Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub farmall lock tight poured in radiator

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 23, 2013 10:32 am

You got me with a new one on that particular treatment. Since I've never added lock tight to coolant (or to plain water), I don't know what it does. Did it mix in or float on top? My guess is that it won't hurt anything. Drain it out, refill and forget about it.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea of the potential effects.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 am

If you still have the bottle, verify the maker. I'd then go to their website (like Loctite.com, or Permatex.com) and using the "contact us", send them an email with your question. Fortunately most of those bottles are small enough that there probably wasn't much put in the radiator. If you drain the radiator (which you'll need to do in order to replace it), you can see if it comes out unless it is stuck in the radiator tubes. Without testing a sample, I don't know if it floats or sinks in a water/antifreeze mixture. If the Cub wasn't run long enough for it to get hot, it's probably confined to the radiator.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 23, 2013 10:50 am

G'day to you and well now :shock: that is a different situation :? . Having suffered a number of strokes, I get how things that one would never do under normal circumstances would in actuality occur because of the altered thought processes until recovery. So without more clarity on which product he used, I am assuming that he used the Blue Gasket sealant and not the threadlocker.

My advice would be to take the radiator off. Clean the bolster/coolant reservoir really well to eliminate any traces of the sealant. Take the rad itself to a good radiator repair shop and have them flush and pressure test it. Any leaks found at that time have repaired. The engine may need to be flushed .. I think Eugene is our resident expert on that one .... Not sure how much of that stuff may have gotten into the water jacket especially if it wasn't run long. As it is a thermo-siphon system, it has to get up to temp before it moves a lot. You may be lucky and the sealant will be localized to the rad and the bolster .. maybe the upper and lower hoses.

If it is the thread locker, the cleaning may be all that it needs. The rad still needs to be repaired to eliminate the leaks. Take it to a rad shop.

There are lots of resources available to our members - suggest you follow the links below, read the Owner's Manual, look at the relevant pages in the TC-37 Parts Catalogs and check out the relevant Blue Ribbon Service Manuals.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 am

Warm weather is upon us. I would set the tractor on the drive way. Remove radiator and water manifold on lower right side of block. Flush out the block and bolster, then back flush the block from the top.

Let set in sun a day or two and then flush again.

Actually, I don't think the substance did any damage. It would either float, or if heavier than the coolant mix, plug up some of the radiator tubes, or sink to the bottom of the bolster. If water soluble it will wash out during the flushing process.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu May 23, 2013 11:37 am

Just flush it out good and replace the leaking radiator. There's a lot worse in there than loc-tite.

The stuff is either floating in the top tank of the radiator, or down in the lower tank in the bolster. Cubs don't have water pumps so it didn't circulate.

Return to “Farmall Cub”