This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Demo ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mikeintn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Demo ?

Postby mikeintn » Thu May 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Ok I went yesterday to pickup a cub :D been setting in barn few years the man didn't know the year [ brought it over the phone ], when loading it I seen white under the seat looked at date on clutch housing 11/S :D , looked at serial tag and its painted over, so when got home scraped it off and its 95761, not in the Demo range? soooo after washing it, its obvious it was white :? , looks like someone sanded it good but they didn't get all of it, the seat had an old cover on it, after taking it off, the seat and the air breather cap looks to have never been anything but white, there still white on clutch housing, floor pan, under gas tank, grill, all casting dates I looked at seems to be right 11 something S, so what do you think? why was it white? love to here your thoughts :D
Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Demo ?

Postby Rudi » Thu May 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Mike:

Very nice buy ... :!: :applause:. As for the sn being out of the "so-called" demo range, no one knows for sure. All we know for sure is that the originals were white.

BigDog wrote:Alan - the generally accepted serial number range for demonstrators is 99536-106517

Note that it is generally accepted. If this Cub you just bought is indeed originally white and there is no red under the white then we can be pretty sure it came from Louisville as white.

I would suggest that you really document this particular Cub very well with tons of photos .. maybe even see if you can get the white paint tested to see if the colour matches.

You may have just changed the accepted Demo SN Range :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 pm

mikeintn wrote:Ok I went yesterday to pickup a cub :D been setting in barn few years the man didn't know the year [ brought it over the phone ], when loading it I seen white under the seat looked at date on clutch housing 11/S :D , looked at serial tag and its painted over, so when got home scraped it off and its 95761, not in the Demo range? soooo after washing it, its obvious it was white :? , looks like someone sanded it good but they didn't get all of it, the seat had an old cover on it, after taking it off, the seat and the air breather cap looks to have never been anything but white, there still white on clutch housing, floor pan, under gas tank, grill, all casting dates I looked at seems to be right 11 something S, so what do you think? why was it white? love to here your thoughts :D

I've looked in the Database, and that SN falls mathematically to the last part of November 1949. What are the exact Casting Codes that you can read and what is the engine SN? Most of the early dated Casting Codes that have been reported have been from December, with very few from November.

My opinion is that the tractor was painted white some while after the tractor had been in use. Looking at your pics, and zooming in on a couple, its looks to me that the white/cream is over the top of red in a few places. The photo of the top of the seat is the giveaway to me. The seat is white, but it appears it had a cushion on it at one time, and you can see the remnants of the cloth around the edges. After the cloth rotted away, it was painted white.
Look in the top left portion of the seat, close to the pressure washer:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280 ... g~original

Also, would a plain seat (no cushion pan) from the factory have had a grommet installed?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Excellent points Raymond. Be interesting to see what comes of this.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Thu May 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Demos had red seats also not white.

mikeintn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mikeintn » Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Raymond I remember the dates on the finals I believe was 11/4 and 11/14, the clutch housing, engine, front bolster is all 11 but don't know the day, the engine is 96???, I'll look at it again tomorrow and get all the dates.
I sure don't know the history of it but find it interesting, I will look at it some more tomorrow but it sure look like to me and my son that in places that showed up the best that the white was on the bottom, but I've been wrong before :D , anyway will all figure it out what ever it takes.
Mike

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Mike, what you doing next Wed. mng? I will be headed to Tony's (railroad 0630) up your way, to get a non runner on the way to Boss's. Any way you could meet me at the interstate to swap shifters?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Several points, some already stated:

11/49 is way to early to be a demo.

A lot of the "white" looks more like yellow to me. There were yellow tractors in 1949.

Inside of seat pan under the cushion was not painted anything at the factory.

Demo seats were red.

In absence of better evidence, it isn't a demo.

mikeintn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mikeintn » Fri May 24, 2013 12:01 am

Yes Dale that will be fine, just let know when and where.

I don't know about all the other Jim but its definitely not yellow, it was white, along time ago, don't know when and where :D , just got to find out some how what was the first paint on it :?
Mike

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 am

Mike in TN, does the previous owner have any more information? The casting codes will be interesting.

When was the demo-concept formed? Perhaps this is a pre-demo test. A so-called "demo" demonstrator...

Todd

mikeintn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mikeintn » Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 am

That's a good point Todd I am going to try and contact him, but I don't have much hope he just didn't seem like he know much about it.

Heres the dates I got, they all seem to be close to each other.
engine 11/4/s, serial # 96445
clutch housing 11/7/s
touch control 10/11/s
front bolster 11/4/s
right final 11/4/s
left final 11/14/s
I took a magnify glass and was looking at the white on the clutch housing and you could see two layers of red on top of the white, there don't seem to be a lot of white left on it, but then I keep going back to why is there any white under there :? theres no doubt the seat don't seem right, did the cover come off someone paint it, theres no red on it, maybe they sandblasted it, replaced it, I don't know, maybe someone seen a Demo and wanted theres white, maybe it something like Todd said, maybe IH painted it all white and didnt like it, maybe they painted it back red, I guess it endless possibilities, all I know its red and was white at some point :D
Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”