The Story of the Right Brake Pedal.
In my quest to strip our Cub down to the barest element - I embarked on the quest for removing the right brake pedal from the bushings on the platform. More correctly the brake pedal from the brake shaft - it was turning freely in the bushing.
Into the press it went - after much shimming, aligning, etc. All was positioned ready to push down through the clutch bushing and the left brake bushing to - just press that shaft right out of that brake petal. In advance of this - I'd been using Kroil on it for the last couple of weeks - little squirts everyday.
Now comes the big decision, what's laying around the shop the right diameter and long enough to go down through all the bushings - Ahhh the perfect piece of steel - why not just use the clutch and left brake shaft......??????
Do any of you know what happened next? I cleaned the shaft on the wire wheel - it slipped easily into the bushings and with heat and 20 ton - I sure enough pushed that right brake pedal shaft clean out of the brake lever. Awesome Yippee....
In my wisdom and perhaps the rush to get this part out - I theorized that I'd be able to EASILY remove the right brake pedal from the pushing rod - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - now I had the Long Shaft Stuck in the Right Brake Pedal. You laughing yet. Nope I couldn't take the time to go to the farm and get a piece of 9/16 steel rod - I had to DO IT NOW.....
So Today - I had to build a special jig and shims to support the brake bushings the platforms, etc, so I could push the long shaft out of the Right Brake Pedal.
No I DID NOT use the right brake pedal shaft
. I used a 9/16 bolt. I am pleased to report the brake pedal is NOW Free at last.
Go ahead and laugh - it's ok - I've had a good laugh at myself......
Have a Great Weekend. Ken