CUB 22 MOWER PURCHASE ADVICE

Fri May 24, 2013 7:10 pm

I am in the market for a sickle mower for my Cub to keep my pastyre area cut down. There is one close to me here in TN: http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/3795493220.html

The man is hard on $300. The unit is complete and has been barn kept for over 30 years. It even has the factory nut on the hold up bar.

It needs new teeth and probably new guards and wear plates. The bar the teeth are on is bent but I think I can strighten it. The pitman arm needs to be replaced.

Is $300 a good price and can I get the parts I need to get it back up and running? Anyone know where I could get one of the tools to cut and install the rivets?

Thanks,

Phil D

Re: CUB 22 MOWER PURCHASE ADVICE

Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Too much in my opinion. And it does not look complete to me. I don't see the drag bar. I am looking at ad on my phone, so its possible its there and I'm not seeing it. I think someone on here could do better for you

Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 pm

I agree with tmays....too much for the work and parts it needs.

Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Phil, got your message and returned your call. Give me a call back when you get a chance. You're right about those phone towers.

Fri May 24, 2013 7:42 pm

I was going to ask $350.00 for my 22 mower with new guards, knives and pulley when I sell it.

Fri May 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks Bill. My landline is down and I don't have cell service at home either. I will try and call you tomorrow morning when we go to the dump. Gotta love this country living!!!!

Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Tom,

Have any pics?

Phil D

Fri May 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Phil D wrote:Thanks Bill. My landline is down and I don't have cell service at home either. I will try and call you tomorrow morning when we go to the dump. Gotta love this country living!!!!

Sounds good, I should be around the shop all day. As long as I'm not mowing I will hear the phone.

Fri May 24, 2013 7:48 pm

PTO pulley, didn't see it.

Post an ad in the for sale, wanted section of this site.

Fri May 24, 2013 7:52 pm

All the parts are there and he has the PTO pulley too. The cutter is in decent shape and I think putting new knives, guards and a pitman arm would make it good to go. They are not plentiful near me, maybe where Dale is in Crossville they are. If someone out there has a better deal let me know. Y'all have been wonderful to me in the past and I have used the Cub Express a few times too.

Fri May 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Phil,
I don't have any pics yet. I'll post in for sale when I take pics.

Fri May 24, 2013 8:37 pm

How soon are you planning to sell it Tom?

Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Phil|

Gonna try this again.

Certainly looks complete to me. But to make sure if you do decide to make the deal, take the Cub-22 Mower 6-17-52 with you. If it isn't complete then there may be a chance for negotiation.

Either way, $300.00 for a mower in that shape is not all that far out of line. I have seen them go for more than that here and yes of course less as well. However, this one has a few things that are really expensive to make - like the belt guard. You don't want to know what it cost me to have one made. Not cheap. This one looks in good shape. In areas where mowers are not plentiful this is a fair price. Those in Cub paradise seem to get things for far less than those of us who are not located in such a resource rich environment, but that isn't our reality. Some of us have to pay more to get what others pay less for.

A pitman arm is easily made if you have any woodworking skills at all. They are also available at the dealer and are not expensive. The rest is reasonably priced as well.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 pm

There is a nice one on ebay. $200

Fri May 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks Rudi!